Miller Knuth 3156 power hacksaw

inthewoods

Registered
Registered
Came upon a Miller Knuth power hacksaw. It came from an auction and I was forced to buy it ($11).
I want to restore it to running condition but the drive and driven gears have a bunch of stripped teeth on them.
Questions:
Can these gears be repaired?
Anybody know of a source for parts for this saw?
How expensive might it be for someone to machine these gears from scratch?
If I can't repair it, it might become yard art. I really like the styling of it.
Thanks in advance,
Inthewoods20200726_064755.jpg20200726_064727.jpg20200726_064755.jpg20200726_064727.jpg20200726_064656.jpg

Last edited:
Both gears look fairly easy to make.

I’d fix it. Get the ratio right, make a matching set and you are good to go. Knuth still operates in the US. We just bought a new bandsaw from them two years ago. Might want to give them a call just out of curiousity. They may know of a dealer/repair old timer that holds onto old parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to repair it but through more research I discovered there is a cam on the back side of the large gear that lifts the blade on the backstroke. From the outside it looks like the gear and cam are one piece. Think there will be more to it than just making more gears.
Plan on contacting Knuth to see if I can get more info on it. Talked to them couple of days ago and the receptionist told me they don't deal with MK machines. Going to try harder to talk with somebody else there. When I get back from a trip I will pull the gears and post some pics of them.
I really appreciate all your help with this project.

To me it wouldn't make sense to have the gear and cam made from one piece of stock. That would be a ton of wasted material. That gear and cam should be two pieces probably pressed together.

Some more pictures of the cam and back side of the gear would help.

Back