Milling A Gib Strip

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
how can I mount a strip of brass 8mm x 10mm x 250mm long on a mill so I can mill the corners off at 60 degrees to make a new gib strip.

Maybe super glue it to a backer plate, you can release it with heat.

Double sided tape?

Tom

I made one for the x axis on my sx2 mill soon after I got it as the factory supplied one didn't fit in the dovetails very well and was shaped like a banana. As there was enough overlap on the long parallel sides I held it like this:
x2 gib strip.jpg

The little vice is bolted to a length of 1-1/2" rod with a flat milled on it. I took light cuts to avoid distorting the unsupported ends. The end result adjusted up much better than the original and has been working ever since.

Rob

Thanks guys, I am a bit hesitant regarding the overlap so its nice to see its possible.
In fact it might be ok to superglue it to a thicker straight bar to help there.

You essentially have to make a fixture that has a 30 deg or 60 deg edge milled on it hold the piece in place. And make a full length hold down strap to hold the brass piece while milling the angle needed.

Rather than making a 60' fixture would it be ok to clamp the brass strip flat to a length of bar and use the 60' countersink on a centre drill as a cutter?

Back