Milling Bogging Down In Cut

Lurk

Registered
Registered
I wonder if any of the more experianced chaps out there can shed some light on my milling problem.
I have a 3HP horizontal mill (Adcock & Shipley later badged Brigeport - 1ES) - which has a vertical head .
I was attempting to mill mild steel (easy machining normally) with a nearly new good condition 5/8" dia HSS 4 flute end mill running 500 rpm, full width cut at 1/4" DOC - hand feeding and I watched the rev counter drop to 380 rpm as soon as I did anything much past a fine feed - as if the drive was stalling out.
I switched to a 2" side & face shell mill and took 5/8" wide cut @ c 1/4" DOC and it was 'ok' as long as I didn't push it too much. Now I know the shell mill has more flutes / edges and thus each is doing less work than the slot mill. The 3ph motor is powered via a vfd on 240v. It 'should be wired in delta' and has to th ebest of my knowledge been fine for the last 2 years of use I have made of it as I learnt my way around it manily in th elow rev's area for horizontal milling (50 to 150 rpm max) the pulley system consists of 4 step motor to 4 step intermediate, 4 step final then a back gear for horizontal low ratio - this all connects to a gear box for table feed to give feed per rev of the cutter.... this was disengaged in my cut above.

What concerns me is that the mill should easily cope with the original cut and the cutter looks and feels fine as did the steel - any pointers for what to look at ?
My initial thoughts are the 3ph motor may have a phase down or may infact be wired in star still - the VFD is set to give a 15 second start up ramp as initial start up blew the vfd feed fuse (13amp single phase 240 v)

To check the motor connections will require around 4 hrs work lying on the deck to pull the motor out from the base unit - something I would like to avoid if possible by checking everything else first.
Advice appreciated
Lurk
UK

It sounds like your mill should have plenty of power to make that cut. The first thing I would do is set the VFD display to read amps then see what the motor is drawing when under load. If the amps are very low compared to the motor data tag value, then I would say the motor is wired star connected. If you have lost a phase, the VFD should fault out and let you know so I'm guessing that is not the problem.

Is it possible to reach in with a camera or a mirror to look at the connection without taking the motor out?.

I will take a look at the VFD instructions and see how to switch the display over to amps - I will drop off the inspection panel on the mill base and take a look at where the connections are and see if I can get a photo with my phone. My feeling is its in star and Ive been getting away with it on low speeds due to motor inertia and the gearing - a bit too cool for laying on the concrete today ! thanks for the reply ref' amps - I was not aware of that possibility .

Well, thanks for the replies - I checked the AMPs & it was 2.3A on the inverter screen (I assume this is per phase ?) - so I pulled the motor out and checked it over.
1. Its a 1.5KW Brook 1420rpm 6.3 Amps on 240v delta
2. The wiring & links all look good to the plate description
If I can work out how to upload a photo or two I will - seams they nead approval before I can link them here - fwiw - they are in my only album.

I re-installed the motor, re-set belt tension and then re-set the pulley positions to give me the speed required at between 45 & 55 Hz - I then went through the inverter parameters - the only 'errors' I could find were the max Amps was set at 10. The start up ramp at 20 sec' - so these were reset - to 6.9 A & 10 sec'.

I have run the mill all weekend and this seams to have resolved the issue ... on the other hand Ive crunched a 1/2 carbide end mill & had a 1/16" x5" slitting saw spin on the horizontal arbor - the removal of the blade from the arbor then caused it to shatter.
I have had more peaceful days in the workshop.

Back