Milling Machine Advice - Looking at a used machine

Jake P

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm very inexperienced in all things machining. I have a 1340GT on order and am in the que.

I am also looking to aquire a mill, and am considering a PM833T or TV as this is what appears to me to be the best option in the price range I am looking to spend.

So, doing a search on Craigslist this is the closest machine to me that is in the price range, but it is still 6 and half hours (one way) drive time for me.

And to top it off, I'm a neophyte and really feel like I could be "had real bad" very easily. So I'm looking for pearls of wisdom as to what folks may think about something like this machine versus just going new with something like the 833 for a starter machine.

Thanks!

Bridgeport Variable Speed Milling Machine Loaded - tools - by owner...

Last edited:
Here's a shout out to the Idahoan members to see if they are close enough to help out. There's nothing like having an experienced guy look at it in person before buying a machine.

looks like it is promising - I'd have to hear it run and see how it dials in on a 1-2-3 block before making more comments.

Here's a shout out to the Idahoan members to see if they are close enough to help out. There's nothing like having an experienced guy look at it in person before buying a machine.

looks like it is promising - I'd have to hear it run and see how it dials in on a 1-2-3 block before making more comments.
I'm in N. Idaho and this machine is in Gresham, OR.

So we'd like an experienced Oregonian to have a look - if one is available!

If someone lived real close, that of course would be nice, but I'm really just looking for overall advice based on what some of you know about a machine like this vs. what I'm thinking about new.

I look at this old machine and I see something that looks like it may have been rode hard and put up wet, so to speak, and someone just did a nice clean up job (lipstick on a pig comes to mind). But then from what little I know some of these old machines can look rough and still be a gem. That's my point, I really don't know what I'm looking at. And maybe that's why I should just buy new and learn, at least I'll have a decent machine even if it's much the lesser.

Jake the BP's are large foot print machines. Do you have the space for one, I do not have the exact measurements memorized, but 6' front to back, and 7-8' for table travel + vertical ~95"

Wow! I knew it was large from the picture, but I had no idea it was THAT large :oops:

No, that would be pushing it for my current space. Perhaps when I build my shop extension, but that will be some years ahead.

Thanks for letting me know. I've seen plenty of videos on the 833 and it's quite manageable size wise.

Dabbler, as the Admin. it would be fine with me if you just deleted this thread if that's possible, as there is no use in wasting anyone else's time since I had no idea just how large that machine is.

Jake try taking a look at what this BP's measurements are, I think this should stay here as a reference. I'm selling my G0755 10 x 32 mill for a Bridgeport.

Last edited:
The Bridgeport isn't that big, you may want to reconsider it, as that looks like a gorgeous machine, I'd take it over a new mill. Also, consider placing it in a corner, a very efficient use of space.

Attachments

• bridgeport-milling-machine-brochure.pdf
    18.7 MB · Views: 133
  • bridgeport-in-the-corner-of-the-shop.jpg
    bridgeport-in-the-corner-of-the-shop.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 151
If you have the height, I'd also look at the BP. I have a Millrite which is about 2/3 the size and the only thing you really gain is the shorter table, which is also a loss. Having feeds, a power drawbar, and a DRO are really nice and adding them to a machine will run you 3-4K . Dave

Back