Milling Machine Advise

minsk

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey guys,
hope you are all staying safe out there.

So I'm in the market for mill.
Im looking for something in between a Bridgeport (little to big for the shop) and a grizzly g704 (a little to dmall)..
does such a thing exist.
i do like older machines...i will convert whatever i buy to cnc.
i missed a sweet deal on a Supra CNC ...it was a bit to large also.
just looking for ideas.
my budget is like 1-3g

-daniel

Yes there are several, although I'm not sure about the conversion to CNC.

Precision Matthews has a smaller Bridgeport clone, and I think at least one member here has converted it to CNC. This one is $4400 so more than your budget.

PM-835S MILLING MACHINE

They also have a couple of large bench mills bigger than the G0704 which people have converted to CNC.

For vintage machines Burke Millrite (also sold as Powermatic Millrite) is a fairly popular option about 2/3 the size and weight of a Bridgeport. Older Bridgeport M heads are a bit smaller than the current models.

Clausing 8520 and Rockwell 21-100 are other popular small mills, but they may be too small for you, since they have a similar work envelope to the G0704. No idea how feasible it is to convert a vintage mill to CNC.

Yes there are several, although I'm not sure about the conversion to CNC.

Precision Matthews has a smaller Bridgeport clone, and I think at least one member here has converted it to CNC. This one is $4400 so more than your budget.

PM-835S MILLING MACHINE

They also have a couple of large bench mills bigger than the G0704 which people have converted to CNC.

For vintage machines Burke Millrite (also sold as Powermatic Millrite) is a fairly popular option about 2/3 the size and weight of a Bridgeport. Older Bridgeport M heads are a bit smaller than the current models.

Clausing 8520 and Rockwell 21-100 are other popular small mills, but they may be too small for you, since they have a similar work envelope to the G0704. No idea how feasible it is to convert a vintage mill to CNC.
aaron thank you for replying....Precision Matthews is actually based here in pittsburgh...bridgeort m...hmmm..illl have to check that out...i know bridgeport quality is amazing...so ill keep an eye out for that...any machine can be made cnc :p.... thank you so much for replying

i wonder if i can get a get a single phase briodgeport m...the supra i missed was 3 phase...i woulda had to do a vfd or some poop

No idea on the 3 phase / single phase, I just know the M models were a little smaller. Turns out they are still too big for my shop (low ceiling) so I didn't pursue that option very far. They are less desirable which should help with your budget, but you would need to talk with somebody who knows Bridgeports to find out why they are considered inferior.

i have 13 foot celiings...so that will not be a problem ...:)

If I remember right, the M head has no back gear, and a Brown & Sharpe spindle taper, like #6 or 7.

If you are interested in CNC capability, Lagun makes some nice servo mills that can be picked up in your price range. They are super solid mills. You would only need to set up the interface.

Back