Milling machine miniature workpiece capabilities.

My thoughts about the OP question on doing decent work with shakey hands:
Gunsmithing requires a great deal of relatively costly tooling. And the lack of experience with a particular machine can lead to unneccesary / overpriced / unusable / inadaquate machines. I, as a model builder, would suggest a small, relatively inexpensive machine such as the convertable lathe (I can't remember the brand) with the capacity to be a mill. It would not be an "end all" device, rather an introduction to milling machines. Most such machines continue to be useful into the future for small work while the "normal" jobs are done on a full size machine that has been chosen with working foreknowledge. The tooling can often be used on a larger machine as well. Professionally, I was an electrician before electronics and engineering. I started out with machine work on a UniMat DB-200. I now have a couple of moderate sized machines, a 9X20 and a 12X36. Most of my UniMat sized tooling is still in occasional use.

He was asking about combo machines here if you have experience with one to share.

Lathe / Milling machine combo options

Sounds like he is going to go with a small lathe for now, but a milling attachment would be an option that wasn't mentioned.

I still don't remember the brand I wanted to advise. I did find a Sherline machine, a combination machine for work on small parts.
The link for MicroMark is as a vendor I use. They are a little pricey but quite reliable. The Sherline is one of many brands that would work as an introduction machine.

777 how do you make screws on a mill/drill? I can thread on a lathe but have never tried it on a mill. Didn't even know it could be done.
Sorry, I wasn't clear - Screws are made on the lathe but slot for the head cut on the mill

Back