Milling machine miniature workpiece capabilities.

Another point. Properly annealed beads are very tough. I used to bounce them off of a concrete floor at some of the shows. Chinese beads turn into powder. My wife groaned every time I picked up a bead, but she sold a lot of them.

You don't want used saws. Used mandrels are OK, but only go new with the blades.

My Bad!! I read your post wrong

Both Joe Pie and Blondihacks have good videos on making slitting saw arbors. I like Blondihacks one the best. They are simple to make on a lathe.

Ken: A slitting saw can be used in a lathe also, in case you are wondering. A little more ingenuity required but doable
-Mark

I've made 100's of screws for parts I sell using a basic round column ($600 used) mill drill. The setup is simply a ER11 collet chuck clamped in the vise and a slitting saw in a ER25 chuck in the spindle. Slitting saws are very affordable on Aliexpress.

This could be done in a drill press with the right set up and tooling.
Not trying to rain on your parade.
Buy what ever you want But remember every day precision parts are made on old equipment that is far from perfect.

All the information is great. And your not raining on any parade. I'm getting a lathe to start, but any simpler ideas are totally welcome. Some project might come along and the drill press idea might be a perfect solution.
I'm trying to absorb every bit of infi and tips/tricks I can. Now I have another one.
Ken

Everything I mentioned will be used for other purposes so do some homework before purchase. Enjoy!!

P.S. many years ago I set my wife up to make lampwork glass beads. It cost ME $1500 for HER to make her first $6 bead. I can't guess how many thousands of beads she made over the years out of that investment.
Food for thought in that the first practical Integrated Circuit (7400) cost well over $100K to make. At the time, that was a LOT of money. The second piece cost about 10 cents. And has been going down ever since.

My thoughts about the OP question on doing decent work with shakey hands:
Gunsmithing requires a great deal of relatively costly tooling. And the lack of experience with a particular machine can lead to unneccesary / overpriced / unusable / inadaquate machines. I, as a model builder, would suggest a small, relatively inexpensive machine such as the convertable lathe (I can't remember the brand) with the capacity to be a mill. It would not be an "end all" device, rather an introduction to milling machines. Most such machines continue to be useful into the future for small work while the "normal" jobs are done on a full size machine that has been chosen with working foreknowledge. The tooling can often be used on a larger machine as well. Professionally, I was an electrician before electronics and engineering. I started out with machine work on a UniMat DB-200. I now have a couple of moderate sized machines, a 9X20 and a 12X36. Most of my UniMat sized tooling is still in occasional use.
EDIT:Convertible lathe:

Last edited:
777 how do you make screws on a mill/drill? I can thread on a lathe but have never tried it on a mill. Didn't even know it could be done.
I've made 100's of screws for parts I sell using a basic round column ($600 used) mill drill.

Back