Milling machine one shot oiler lines are shot

Can you share a photo of the oiler? Is it a Bijur or something different?

Here's a link to a thread I ran a couple of years ago on that same issue. My Vectrax is also from Taiwan, so the wise counsel I received would probably apply to your machine as well.

I was able to do a patch job on mine that has worked ever since. Your situation may be more challenging, but there's good information in the thread about how to go about accessing the oiler lines.

Regards

I just got a CNC converted Sharp TMV that seems to have some major issues with the oiler. As far as I can tell, oil is only getting to 2 or 3 of the 14 oil points. Looks like one of the aluminum tubes is plugged (thanks for the Ebay link up there, still valid,) but the other looks to be the restrictor/orifice for the saddle (feeds 10 lube spots through a manifold,) is plugged or way too restrictive. Anyone use needle valves in replace of the restrictors?

Don't make the mistake of thinking they're all the same. Not all oilers are made by Bijur, not all oilers are copies of Bijur.

Yep, 4mil and 5/32 are the same for all practical purposes. I used plastic line on the BP when I redid it, and it has held up fine. Just replaced a few lines on the Acra mill. The originals were aluminum, replaced them with copper. Good advice from cathead on checking the orifices. Mike

The 'meter units' certainly look (from memory) very much like Bijur AJB or FJB. I'll have to triple check whether they're M8x1 or 5/16x24 though. The M8 AJB's are what I'd expect, seeing as it's a Taiwanese mill, but the threads seemed to fit a 24TPI gage better than to an M6x1 screw (couldn't find my metric thread gage.)
I guess I should quadruple check that it's not a mix. Most everything on the mill is metric, but most of the CNC hardware (Anilam) is SAE. Seeing as 4mm and 5/32 tubing is treated as the same I guess it's very possible.

Took a closer look, and the presumably clogged meter unit had FJB 5 marked on it, so I ordered a Bijur replacement. The meters for the ball screws were FJB 3's, which seem awful high-flowing, when there is 1 for each ball nut, and just a single FJB 5 for all 10 lube points on the X and Y ways. That means the 2 ball nuts are getting half as much oil as the X and Y ways. Anyway, I ordered a couple FJB 2's as well(which still seems like a generous amount of oil to the ball nuts, but didn't want to do anything crazy.)
The knee ways are marked PSS 3, which I couldn't find in the Bijur catalog, but they appear to be 5/16-24 for 4mm or 5/32 OD on both ends (also a configuration not in the Bijur catalog I found.) I'm not going to worry about those too much at the moment, as I can easily oil the knee by hand and I can get at them easily enough with the mill fully assembled.

Hey all,
I assume these one shot pumps and line are standard size?
What size is it? Do I measure the OD?
Is there a replacement kit with the ferrils?
Is 4mm correct?
Ebay has the import pumps for $44. Mine works fine but leaks due to the compromised tubing. I’ll also need the main feed to the manifold.

Your experience will help me save time.

Thank you very much!
I used one of the import pumps from Supra Machine on my Smith & Mills shaper. I used 1/8” NPT fittings and 1/8” soft copper tubing. To get the pump discharges converted where you can use standard fittings, I took a M10x1 bottom pipe tap and tapped the discharge ports on the pump. Then I took a M10x1 die and chased the 1/8” threads on the NPT fitting. It is a pretty close match already. Then I sealed it with 3M pneumatic thread sealant.

Incidentally, to get the flow of oil metered correctly to all six points on the ram, I plugged the various fittings with brass plugs and then drilled the holes in slightly larger number sizes the further it was from the pump. This way each position receives about the same amount of oil. It took a little bit of experimenting to get it right, but this system works quite well.

IMG_1027.jpg IMG_1028.jpg IMG_1029.jpg IMG_1030.jpg

I used one of the import pumps from Supra Machine on my Smith & Mills shaper.

Slight thread drift...I've seen pics of your shop (outstanding!) but haven't seen any of that shaper before. It looks fantastic...have you done a thread on it or posted any pics? I don't want to mess this thread up, but if there's another thread I'd love to check it out.

Slight thread drift...I've seen pics of your shop (outstanding!) but haven't seen any of that shaper before. It looks fantastic...have you done a thread on it or posted any pics? I don't want to mess this thread up, but if there's another thread I'd love to check it out.
Thanks. I can’t remember if I’ve posted any pictures of it on this forum. I did on PM a few years ago. I’ll see if I can post a few in the shaper section here in the next few days when I get a little more time.

Back