Milling machine stability assistance

That actually is the proper way to mount any heavy machine. The only problem I foresee is just how strong is the floor concrete. If this were an industrial floor, I would concur 100%. But many basement floors are only a 2 or 3 inch slab over a questionable base. An attached garage might be 4 inch, a detached garage in my area is often 2 inch. The machine might be rigidly attached to the floor, but where is the floor? And will it stay there? For the given situation, I would use some heavy angles attached to the top of the base and then level with the angles. The machine doesn't need to be level, but it must be true (no twist), and stable. The stability is the big issue. And keeping that stability over time. It may be true now, but over time the concrete floor may shift. Over a ton and a half with a footprint of 4 square feet(m/l) is a lot of weight.

My suggestion was based on the assumption your floor is strong enough to support the mill.
If you feel the floor is to weak, then mount a steel plate of appropriate thickness ( 3/4" maybe) and size to spread the weight over a larger area level the mill then grout.
You say the mill doesn't have to be level, I strongly suggest that you level it. Leveling is not needed for proper operation of the mill, but makes setups much easier.

I'm bolting my 935 mill to two, 1/4" thick 2" x 4" Steel channels each 26" long, across the underside, front and back. At the ends of the channels, will be the yellow leveling feet PM sells. Hoping for leveling, stability and vibration mitigation.

Nice machine! I just shimmed mine with some sheet metal shims. On one other machine, I tapped the bolt holes and screwed in some feet similar to the ones in the BP kit.

You could also tap the holes and just make some B7 all thread studs and use some 4 x 4 x 3/8 thick plates. Put a divot in the center of the plate with a 3/4'' drill bit to keep it centered. This way would minimize the height change.

How about this?

00909_bzYcnasmxomz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Now, That's a Mill! ......Just showed the boss lady that pic and said "...it's a pic of the mill I just bought, an investment in our Grand Children's future............." I can tell you right now, I've never seen that look before!! ......."Make room Rover, I'm camping out with you tonight" :oops:

Back