Milling Machine Vise , 4", VA-4 by VERTEX

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am considering the purchase of this vise after looking at several different vises.
The vise is a "VERTEX VA-4" four inch vise with the down force locking feature like the Kurt vises.

I would like to know of anyone who has had experience with Vertex vises of this type.

A quick online search brought up some reviews which seems favorable which go inline with my personal experience of the Vertex rotary table which is pretty nice , but I was not able to see any online stores carrying the vise.

where do you see this vise available?

A quick online search brought up some reviews which seems favorable which go inline with my personal experience of the Vertex rotary table which is pretty nice , but I was not able to see any online stores carrying the vise.

where do you see this vise available?
The vise is for sale by a vendor on ebay, "POWERTOOLS4LESS".

Do a search for vertex vise then click on seller and view all the offerings they have.

jtg

Here are some photos of the vise.

1Packaged.JPG2unpacked.jpeg3base.jpeg4underside.jpeg5onmill.jpeg6inuse.jpeg
I am happy with the vise thus far. Preliminary examination is very favorable. One nice thing I like is the pre-cut key slots on the vise bottom. Very Nice.
I will check the various accuracy parameters and post those later. jtgrinder

1Packaged.JPG 2unpacked.jpeg 3base.jpeg 4underside.jpeg 5onmill.jpeg 6inuse.jpeg

looks good. what were you using prior to this one? I'm curious how it compares to other vises. I think Vertex makes nice things for an affordable price range.

looks good. what were you using prior to this one? I'm curious how it compares to other vises. I think Vertex makes nice things for an affordable price range.
Using a small "tool maker" vise that I bought from SHAR. Not really comparable, a totally different vise type.
That's why I bought this one. Needed a bigger vise for better holding of larger parts.
Bought this one after reading the bad reviews of the import vises from various tool companies.
I know it's not a KURT, but for the money it looks good.

I am going to get out the Bestest indicator and check it out soon.

Jtgrinder

Hi
Purchased this vice just before Xmas from my local supplier to go with the new Sieg SX3.
When cleaning up before use I noticed that the removable jaws did not tighten up parallel.
Investigation showed that the faces of the fixed & movable jaws were also not parallel.

They had tried to fix it (presumably at the factory) by centre punching both the fixed & movable jaws at one end in an attempt to expand the metal and make the fitted jaws closer to parallel. The punching was not immediately visible because it was behind the replacable jaws. I got no real response from the distributor but they replaced the vice and the replacement vice is OK. It is not a Kurt or import but will more than meet my hobby requirements
Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some photos of the vise.

I am happy with the vise thus far. Preliminary examination is very favorable. One nice thing I like is the pre-cut key slots on the vise bottom. Very Nice.
I will check the various accuracy parameters and post those later. jtgrinder

Can you look and see if it has an ACME lead screw?

Thanks,
Gary

Back