Milling Nylon Backer Board

B2

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I recently posted my description of my PM1440GT lathe VFD conversion. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...tronic-components-pm1440gt-vfd-3-phase.95058/ ( VFD conversion via solid state electronic components. PM1440GT, VFD, 3-phase )
In this I showed a 10 magnet Hall Effect RMP sensor set up that I machined on a backer board that I made.

After I saw the slick way that

@Bill Kirkley

( https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/lining-up-machinist-vise.95601/ )
quickly aligns his vice I though I should post my backer board that I used to make the Hall Effect magnet mounts. To be able to always align my backer board to my Mill table and to align the work to the backer board .... I did some drilling!

I measured the back edge of my table and found it was pretty good over the entire length ~22 inches, about 0.001" . Then I made a really nice backer board out of 1 inch thick nylon and aligned it to the back edge for a rough pass and clamped it down at the ends. I drilled tight ~ 3/16" holes in a line along the T-slots of the table and inserted drill rods in these holes. Then before bolting the backer board down again I pushed the drill rods through the backer board so that they were sticking into the T-slots and then push the board so that the the drill rods referenced off of the T-slot edges which were also measured to be straight. I machined several holes and counter sunk them for T-slot bolts to camp the board with these. I turned the T-Slot bolts head down to be very thin. So that the heads are only about 1/8 up from the table but clamping the backer board. The board has lots of thickness of material to waste before I would hit the T-slot bolts. I also drilled several hundred holes in this board on regular intervals using CNC code. The drill rods holes and drill rods align the board to the table with the many drilled holes are aligned to the drill rod holes by definition as well as the mill table. These hundreds of holes are then used to align my work. For thin materials I can also insert screws into the drilled holes after tapping and use the screw heads or heads with washers as clamps. I do not really need to have a 0.0005" alignment, but since the drilled holes are aligned to the length of table all is pretty good..... better than my clamping and far better than my Mill's current backlash.

When completion the board can be removed and replaced quickly. Just insert the alignment pins, push them up to the T-slots for alignment, Clamp the board with the T-slot bolts, then the alignment pins can be removed if they are in the way. The work piece edge can either be aligned via the alignment pins or via pins that are put in the many drilled holes. In the last photo shows the board after I skim milled the surface to ensure that it was flat. (Forgive the wooden block that I use to ensure the mill head does not crash when the stepper is powered down.)

Attached are a some pictures of the backer board being made. I will post some photos of the first project I used the backer board for in the next posting.

IMAG2953.jpg

Attached are a some pictures of the backer board being made. I will post some photos of the first project I used the backer board for in the next posting.

Attachments

• IMAG2913.jpg
    IMAG2913.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 95
  • IMAG2916.jpg
    IMAG2916.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 104
  • IMAG2920.jpg
    IMAG2920.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 99
  • IMAG2930.jpg
    IMAG2930.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 103
  • IMAG2953.jpg
    IMAG2953.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 94
So I made a couple of items with my backer board mounting scheme. The first was a new instrument panel face plate for my lathe that I converted. The Al was a little too thick so after cutting holes in it for the various components I machined off some the over all thickness, with interesting results. Stress does interesting things.
Removing the material from one side introduced sufficent stress to bend the plane into a potato chip shape. Clamped it between a couple of pieces of steel plates with C-clamp to flatten it, and then put in to an oven at over 400F for a couple of hours. Came out flat after this stress was released by this anneal.

IMAG2980.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG2970.jpg
    IMAG2970.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 95
  • IMAG2972.jpg
    IMAG2972.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 103
  • IMAG2974.jpg
    IMAG2974.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 96
  • IMAG2977.jpg
    IMAG2977.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 101
  • IMAG2978.jpg
    IMAG2978.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 97
Another project using the backer board that I built for my lathe VFD conversion is the RMP Hall Effect magnet holder.

In the first picture you can see one of the alignment pins plus the mounted Nylon material for the magnet holder..... at a couple of stages of milling I only needed 4 center clamping screws for this block. As you can see the lathe spindle hole residual material is where the material was screwed down to the backer board. I cut most of the way through, but then removed the small amount of material holding everything together with the lathe. I mounted 10 magnets in the holes. Prior to making this I drill a couple of long holes into the edge of the starting block and into this I tapped a 1/4-20 hole. After making the part I then cut it along one side and used this bolt hole to clamp the C shaped part to the spindle using a non-magnetic nylon bolt. Someday, I will remove some of the ID so that I can attach the holder to a spider. Someday!!

I will post pictures of the process, but try not to clutter HM too much so if you want to see the final Hall set up go to my recent posting, Figure 10a of my lathe VFD conversion: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...tronic-components-pm1440gt-vfd-3-phase.95058/

"VFD conversion via solid state electronic components. PM1440GT, VFD, 3-phase"​

Attachments

• IMAG3103.jpg
    IMAG3103.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 102
  • IMAG3106.jpg
    IMAG3106.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 94
  • IMAG3113.jpg
    IMAG3113.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 94
  • IMAG3125.jpg
    IMAG3125.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 108
  • IMAG3136.jpg
    IMAG3136.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 106
  • IMAG3137.jpg
    IMAG3137.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 115
You sir, have some serious talent going on there. Very nice!

Reactions: B2
Back