Milling something larger than the table travel?

You say the piece will net to be cut down to length.

How small does the finished piece need to be?

That is a lot of dovetail to cut on a small mill. If I were you I would look seriously at setting it on edge and using a straight end mill to hog out the bulk of the material and leave as little as possible to clean up with the dovetail cutter. It will save the wear and tear on the cutter and give the little mill a fighting chance of surviving to the end.

The finished piece dovetail is 16" long, but there is still meat out on the ends for hold down bolts. The mill has a 9" travel, so I'm still exceeding it. I think I know how to do this, and I'll give it a shot.

I won't use the dovetail cutter until I've hogged out everything I can. It's going to be a lot of machining, because the little thing won't handle deep cuts. I know this is going to take a long time to do, but I haven't seen the part come up on eBay, and I've been watching for a while. It's the last part I need for the taper attachment.

Pins in the t-slots for alignment, ( or better yet “slot blocks”). File the largest side to remove burrs and locate this side against the table. Check for flatness with .001“ shim stock. Attach a known flat / straight piece of metal to the long side, possibly via tooling screw holes or Loctite (which usually melts at 300 deg., Don’t tell the wife that you are using her oven), to locate against the slot blocks. Machine new reference surfaces. My .02

Back