[How-To] Milling Stainless steel

Qmavam

Registered
Registered
Novice with a HF mill and HF end mills.
I want to cut some 1/8" stainless steel into 1" widths, I have a plate 6" x 6".
What is the chance I can do it, and how would I do it? And not ruin my end mill, I usually work with aluminum.
I'd like to use an 1/8" diameter end mill so not to waste a lot of the material.
What speed, what feed? (i.e. how fast do I crank my arm)
Thanks, Mikek

which stainless? 303 - no problem. 304 no way on a mini mill. 316 is worse. 400 series, hard but doable

IMHO, Cutting pieces to size that way, isn't the best approach, It might be best to saw the pieces to rough width then mill the edges to true them up. And as noted by Karl T, it all depends on the alloy....

Even on a saw 304 can be a stone b*tch. Take an old blade, install it backward, turn the blade swpeed way up and burn your way through it.

Unfortunately, I have to agree that the mill is not the best tool for that job.

A bandsaw would be my go to.
A vise and sawzall or jig saw with the right blade might get you thru.....

Brian

I would use an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel designed for stainless steel. I have been using a 0.045-inch cut-off wheel. This has been durable and quite forgiving cutting 1/8 through 3/8 inch stainless of various grades. I would mark the cut lines and lightly score the cut repeating until the cut is through the material. This eliminates the concentrated heating and warping or distortion of the metal. For 1/8 inch 4 or 5 passes should cut it then clean it up and square it with the mill. Good luck.

Oh, the cutoff disk on a grinder, I can do that.
I don't have a bandsaw and I'm not doing it by hand, (too many pieces).
I want clean edges to bond to glass with silicone.
Can I clean up the edges on the mill with say a 3/4" end mill.
Or can I use my belt sander?
Is there a preferred type of sanding belt for stainless?

After thinking about where this came from,
there's a chance this could be Inconel.
How does that change the machining process?
Sorry :)

Thanks, Mikek

Last edited:
Back