Milling Titanium

dragos28

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, so I've been making dice lately. I'm an avid backgammon player and i enjoy the small (10mm~8mm) heavy dice as they roll better.

so far i've made dice from cow bone, elk antler, aluminum, brass.
then i decided to buy a rectangular bar of titanium, i cut a small piece (11.5mm) off in my bandsaw and i noticed it needed a lot of lubrication and it smoked up quite a bit.

i put it on my mill and just barely touched it with the endmill and instantly it started smoking up. i sprayed it with lubrication and it barely wants to move. I'm using a 4 flute carbide endmill.

i'm kind of afraid to mill it, at least until i know that its safe.

are there any techniques i need to be aware of?

What kind of titanium did you buy? CP4 or 6Al-4V, which is an alloy? I have only milled titanium a couple of times, but did not find it too bad with the right end mill. I purchased a Niagara Cutter end mill, made specifically for titanium.

I used their STR440 series (3/8") and used it on 6AL-4V.

This is their material/tool selector.

Here's their feed and speed info.

I went out and looked for a video on machining titanium and found a series from Jim McPherson. He discusses the end mills he used as well as another series showing an AR15 receiver machined out of 6Al-4V. I found it interesting.

So I'm reading that I need to slow down the end mill speed.

So I'm reading that I need to slow down the end mill speed.
It's good you have 6AL-4V, it machines well. Well, don't know what speed you were milling at, but three things to look for: Correct type end mill, speed, and feed. Can alway slow down speed and feed from recommendation....which is what I do. I'm not on a production line.

Is the carbon end mill you have ALTIN coated?

It's good you have 6AL-4V, it machines well. Well, don't know what speed you were milling at, but three things to look for: Correct type end mill, speed, and feed. Can alway slow down speed and feed from recommendation....which is what I do. I'm not on a production line.

Is the carbon end mill you have ALTIN coated?

you know, i'm not sure. probably not. i bought the endmill set as part of a package from LMS

I don't think it's a big problem but I have had fires start up running that material.
Jimsehr
Be safe.

i'm just not able to cut it.
I'm running a slitting saw and i'm trying to cut off a 8mm chunk, i just cant get it to cut through. it smokes and throws sparks but i cant get more than a few mm without it seeming like it's going to break or something bad is about to happen.

i spray lubrication on it but it just doesnt want to go....

Back