Milling tree's for lumber and wood for projects.

woodtickgreg

Active User
Registered
Some of you guys may see my pic in my avatar and not know what you are looking at besides an old man. LOL It is my chainsaw powered saw mill, it's how I get my wood and lumber for wood working projects. I can mill it any size I want up to 36" wide, any length, and up to 12" to 14" thick or more. I can mill a log where it falls and not have to move the log, just slice it up and move it board by board. I can get species of wood that you can't get at the lumber yard. For me milling tree's for lumber is just a part of the whole wood working project, it's fun for me, very hard work but fun and rewarding. I have thousand s of dollars worth of lumber and all it cost me was a few gallons of gas and oil. The mill paid for itself with the first log I milled. Here's a few pics of what I did this weekend. I live in Michigan and these logs where at a friends house in Ohio, I milled them for him. Here's a few pics. This was several logs of beautiful ambrosia maple. The one large slab that is leaning up against me is 9' long 30" plus wide, and 5" thick. It will be chunked up for turning blanks The last 2 pics show what ambrosia maple looks like, it is beautiful with a finish on it.
milling-day-3-009.jpgmilling-day-3-010.jpgmilling-day-3-025.jpgmilling-day-3-027.jpgmilling-day-3-006.jpgmilling-day-1-021.jpgmilling-day-1-022.jpgmilling-day-1-023.jpgmilling-day-1-010.jpgmilling-day-1-011.jpg

milling-day-3-009.jpg milling-day-3-010.jpg milling-day-3-025.jpg milling-day-3-027.jpg milling-day-3-006.jpg milling-day-1-021.jpg milling-day-1-023.jpg milling-day-1-011.jpg milling-day-1-010.jpg milling-day-1-022.jpg

:man:

Greg,

That is just awesome. I am very, very impressed. It does look like hard work, but the satisfaction must be off the chart to mill your wood from a downed tree.....and then make something from it! I'm speechless.

Steve

Impressive Greg! I see now why you are trying to rig up a winch on your trailer. A day of manhandling that saw would make it hard to unload a trailer afterwards!!!!

Would like to see some of your projects sometime

David

Impressive Greg! I see now why you are trying to rig up a winch on your trailer. A day of manhandling that saw would make it hard to unload a trailer afterwards!!!!

Would like to see some of your projects sometime

David
The winch and trailer wasn't me, but I have done that before, next trailer will be a deckover to ease loading and winch will be able to be positioned anywhere. I will try and dig through my pics and come up with some of my wood projects.

Really nice wood. Can't wait to see the projects.

Jeff

I need to get me one of those. Looks like fun, and hard work. Do you need to shim as you go along to not pinch the blade?

I need to get me one of those. Looks like fun, and hard work. Do you need to shim as you go along to not pinch the blade?
Shimming not required, I run a .404 ripping chain that leaves a 1/4" kerf, never pinches the chain or bar. You might be surprised at how smooth a cut I can get with a chainsaw, it rivals a band saw.

Nice work!

I've looked through the pics and the saw isn't giving up it's brand. I'm thinking Partner. What CC? Do you buy ripping chain or just file regular one at a lesser angle?

Yes, I too want to see the finished product(s)!

There's one guy who lives in Japan who mills with a chainsaw. The neighbors complained about the noise so he put on a larger muffler. Looks really strange, works really well. I don't remember who or the name of his site any more.

- - - Updated - - -

Shimming not required, I run a .404 ripping chain that leaves a 1/4" kerf, never pinches the chain or bar. You might be surprised at how smooth a cut I can get with a chainsaw, it rivals a band saw.

Nice work!

I've looked through the pics and the saw isn't giving up it's brand. I'm thinking Partner. What CC? Do you buy ripping chain or just file regular one at a lesser angle?

There's one guy who lives in Japan who mills with a chainsaw. The neighbors complained about the noise so he put on a larger muffler. Looks really strange, works really well. I don't remember who or the name of his site any more.

Well, you just answered half of my questions! LoL!

Nice work!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you just answered half of my questions! LoL!
It's a McCulloch saw, 100cc, it was made by partner in Sweden, she's all metal and a torque monster. Parts are not available for this saw any more so when she wears out I will be looking for a new power head. I used this saw when I ran a landscape business and processed firewood, I've had it for better than 20 years and she's still going strong, I maintain her well. Another thing about the chain is I custom grind the angles, they come at about 10 degree and I change it to about 18 degree, it's a good compromise of speed and finish quality.

Maybe it was Gary Max trying to install the winch, sorry Greg! Memory not so good anymore!

David

Back