Milling vice: swivel or fixed?

great white

Active User
Registered
I’m just wondering what makes the most sense for a home shop on an import benchtop mill?

Brand differences aside, which is the better option?

Swivel has the obvious ability to mill on an angle, but is there any other advantages?

Or is it a better option to go with a fixed vice and possibly remove the potential of one more moveable joint messing up your part?

I’m looking at maybe picking up an “import” 4 inch mill vice and some have a swivel, some don’t. And some are like a fixed vice bolted to a swivel section, where you coukd remove the fixed part and bolt that to the mill table.

Budget is around 150-200 cdn….

I would agree with mmcmdl. I have a couple vises with the swivel and one without. The swivel isn't used all that often on the vertical mill but comes in handy from time to time. In some cases, it makes it easier to tram the vise. My 8" vise without the swivel is harder to tram than the 6" one with the swivel. The base doesn't have to be absolutely true to the table if you're not making angle cuts. Just tighten it down and use the swivel to tram the jaws.

If you're lacking for Z space, just leave the swivel off until you need it.

save the money on the swivel towards a rotary table. Get an RT that can both sit flat or at 90 degrees.

ALWAYS NEED MORE TOOLING!!!
This is the path I went.

save the money on the swivel towards a rotary table. Get an RT that can both sit flat or at 90 degrees.

ALWAYS NEED MORE TOOLING!!!

This is the path I went.
The correct answer is always .....................................................get BOTH ! :grin:

I think I have a swivel base for a 4" or 5" vise down the basement fwiw . They are available if needed at a later date . I just find the time to buy stuff is when you see it . Like I said , I would buy the swivel and have it on hand when you need it . :encourage: I keep the swivel on a vise that is not on the mills . When you need it , the slot blocks locate the vise so it's automatically trammed .

I think I have a swivel base for a 4" or 5" vise down the basement fwiw . They are available if needed at a later date . I just find the time to buy stuff is when you see it . Like I said , I would buy the swivel and have it on hand when you need it . :encourage: I keep the swivel on a vise that is not on the mills . When you need it , the slot blocks locate the vise so it's automatically trammed .
Your vises must fit tighter in the slots than mine. I always find them to be off a thousandth or two when I just dropping them in the slot.

Back