Milling Vise

If your not opposed to used, go hunting on CL, I got my like new 688 for 300 bucks shipped to alaska, it was in amazing condition except the little mill spot on one of the removable jaws....
I also like the making the vise idea, it's alot of work, do you have an SG?

I like the sticks comparison, I have a 688, it hangs off the front pretty good like shown, however you don't have to use the holes, you can hold the vise down with clamps

This is true, but your taking up more table space then width wise. The big issue with 688, is it's total length. I can't see why the movable jaw needs to be as deep as it is. 6" vises are pretty much the industry standard, i just wish someone made a quality one that worked well for RF-45 and large sized bead mills, as I'm not overly fond of the idea of having that much vise sticking of the front of the table.

The deep part of the movable jaw is not a solid piece, it houses the "Anglock" or wedge mechanism that forces the jaw down as well as against the work, when tightened. There's a better explanation here: https://www.kurtworkholding.com/downloads/pdf/D40 Series VISE_MANUAL English.pdf

That's not what I mean, I mean compared to their competitors the kurt vise is bigger, and a lot of that seems to be in the movable jaw, even though the competition is using the same technology.

That's not what I mean, I mean compared to their competitors the kurt vise is bigger, and a lot of that seems to be in the movable jaw, even though the competition is using the same technology.
It may be the same technology but not necessarily the exact same design or quality. The diagram in the link (3rd page), shows how it works, I don't really see how it could be made shorter without sacrificing some rigidity?

G0755 with the grizzly 5" vise. I have to mount it in the front slot to be able to reach the back jaw with a edge finder.

vise_zps65wqnvut.jpg

G0755 with the grizzly 5" vise. I have to mount it in the front slot to be able to reach the back jaw with a edge finder.

vise_zps65wqnvut.jpg

Thanks for the photo. That is how I have to mount even the 3" vise to reach the fixed jaw.
Seems like it would work. Probably will have to move to the other slots occasionally.
I love your notebook!

the vises like the 688 are designed to be able to use more of the vises opening with the available travel, I used to ponder about why the heck is it like that, but with almost a 9inch opening, the vise in its current configuration when mounted on the middle slot provides more of its usable opening for use without having to move it.

Back