Millrite Moving Methods?

What do flatbeds run out west? I used one a couple years ago to get my lathe in the basement and it was $125/hr. A pick up a few hours away could get really expensive paying for both directions.

That's about what I'm used to on the East Coast. I figured between $600 and $700 for a one-way move, if not more. Depends how long it takes to unload.

A lot of guys go this route. Just be slow and methodical, Because this stuff will tip over so fast you won't know what happened, Just ask Pontiac, He knows this all too well.

Last edited:
Ask the guy selling the machines to watch the video and see if he can get them bolted to skids like they did in the video and get the machines close to his shop door to minimize any hourly cost from the tow truck company.

A lot of guys go this route. Just be slow and methodical, Because this stuff will tip over so fast you won't know what happened, Just ask Pontiac, He knows this all too well.

I do like that wheeled pry bar; I have somehow never played with one of those, and I feel like less of a person for that failure.

Ask the guy selling the machines to watch the video and see if he can get them bolted to skids like they did in the video and get the machines close to his shop door to minimize any hourly cost from the tow truck company.

Not to be defeatist, but: I'm not sure that's gonna be possible. Seller & Co. are...technologically challenged. Yes, that's what we're going to call it. I don't think it's a religious thing, or anything like that...but they just don't mix well with computers. E-mail is a challenge...and that's perfectly okay, but it does make any form of electronic communication a bit more difficult.

Call around to different tow companies and get a quote, Then jump in your V-dub and go out to where the machines are and get them ready, Then when you get home schedule the pickup with the tow guys. Going out to where the machines are with your V-dub shouldn't cost you that much in fuel, Just time.

Call around to different tow companies and get a quote, Then jump in your V-dub and go out to where the machines are and get them ready, Then when you get home schedule the pickup with the tow guys. Going out to where the machines are with your V-dub shouldn't cost you that much in fuel, Just time.

Not a bad idea at all; I had already kind of thought that this might be a two-trip pickup. And yeah, this little thing gets, like 42mpg...so it's not bad to take long trips in. I'll look into rollback rates.

Oh, Fastenall probably isn't an option; we don't have them nearby, from what I can tell. They have some fulfillment centers, but nothing that's for public access...which is weird, because we had Fastenalls all over the place in NC.

Drop deck trailer and a truck to pull it.

But, don't hesitate to ask on here. The worst that will happen is nobody is available to help, if you're lucky you'll make some new friends.

John
The only way to go

Check and see if any local rental places have a center drop trailer. I rented on to move my lathe. We have a Contractor warehouse in southern California that rents them. I'm sure other places have them. The center section drops right down flat on the ground. And if nothing else there should be equipment movers in your area. Millrights are nice.
Mike

And then, it got complicated.

I got the hitch mounted on the Toyota; I finally found one that I like (which still needs a paint job, but whatevs) and that clears the rear doors, so I'm good to go, there. I got the 24/12v converter a day or two ago (which took three tries after two replacements, but whatevs) so I'm ordering wire and cable today and maybe heading to a junkyard to look for the rest of the stuffs that I need, so I'm good to go there, as well...at least I will be after I figure out what I'm doing. The problem, now, is that the seller got back in touch with me about a pickup date, and they have a few more things still available.

Okay, that was an exaggeration: they actually have the rest of it - as in, the entire selection of tools - still available.

I honestly don't know what else is included in "the rest of it" because the original ad was evidently pulled right after I agreed to buy the Millrite and the South Bend; more on that in a minute. However, in the images that the seller sent me there was a Grizzly lathe - a G9972, I think - an older-but-all-there Di'Acro 24" finger brake, two Dayton sanders - a baby 2" by 36-ish" and a 6" by 48" with a 12" disc on the off side - some kind of pantograph dingus that I can't even imagine a use for, and several other things. There's some tooling involved, here and there, and I'm not even sure what else; they're going to send me the original list today or tomorrow...but I recall that the total they asked for all of the equipment and tooling was just north of $15K. That's out of my budget, and I know there are some things that I don't want anyway (lookin' at you, pantograph-dingus), but since they have all of it still available, they said they would take $7K for the lot. Or, I can make them an offer.

*temptation increases*

That figure includes the two pieces that I already claimed, which are about 40% of the total...and unless I get there and find issues that severely reduce the value of the whole, that $7K seems like a damned decent deal. I might have some cash locked up until I can offload the things I don't want, but the offloading might help me monetize the trip and cover some of the costs. I would have to make at least two trips to get it all, too, so making a bit back on the deal suddenly becomes a very attractive offer.

But now I don't have to just inspect and decide on two machines: I would have to look at all of it and hopefully not end up getting into a $7K deal on stuff that isn't worth that much. And that's my concern: why on earth did they pull the ad immediately after I said I would take two of the dozen-plus machines that they had for sale? That seems...well, rather stupid: how would other buyers find the listing if there's no listing at all? I kind of wonder if they had someone lined up to pick up the rest of it, and it fell through...so they're now looking to me to pull them out of a jam; they said that they're selling the property and are just looking to get everything cleaned out and gone - boy, do I understand that feeling - but if I recall correctly, the seller had mentioned (during our phone call a few weeks past) that they were getting rid of things in order to buy a couple of new pieces...so I feel like I got a couple of different stories. But they also offered to leave everything under power so that I could check it all out...and that somewhat indicates that there are no issues that they're concerned about revealing.

So, yeah...it got more complicated. Now I have to figure out 1) how to inspect a bunch of stuff that I'm not 100% familiar with, and 2) how to move it if all of it looks good, and 3) what to do with it if I get through the first two points.

*consternation intensifies*

Well, lots of times folks start in one place and find themselves in a completely different spot. Your seller may have had a hard think about what they want/need, might have gotten bad news at the doctor, might have had a heart to heart with a spouse who doesn't want to deal with a shop full of tools, whatever.

Talk with Dave @mmcmdl about buyouts, he's done a few and made a lot of fellow list members happy with the deals they've gotten. If you have the wherewithal to purchase and store and sell machines you may end up with what you want at very short money. For an entire shop it might make sense to contract with a rigger, or at least find someone with a big flatbed trailer and rent a forklift at either end. You'll want to make sure everything arrives at your place intact so definitely do whatever it takes to get experienced help.

It doesn't sound like you'll be able to really inspect everything, and if you trust the seller it's probably not necessary. Just buy it low enough that you don't get hurt, maybe $5k cash, especially if you can come and move it all out at once and sweep the floor before you leave.

You'll have a hard time finding anyone on here that will try to talk you out of a deal like this, just make sure you're up to the challenge. Never know, you just might fall in love with that pantograph dingus....

John

Back