Millrite MVI spindle bearings replacement

Ok, I’m close to retiring and im starting to collect tools while I can somewhat afford them.
Yup. I am right there myself. I cannot answer your 'new quill' question, but I would wager the answer is "NO".
My MVN is 1974ish I believe, and I also believe few parts are available NOS.
Bob Korves has one, and has more knowledge than I. I suspect he will be along shortly.

I look forward to the prospect of a sorta lengthy, sorta involved project like this. My quarantine referenced above did not materialize, and so the quill/spindle project will wait for more spare time (Thanksgiving, ish).

Thanks to all that replied, please keep em’ coming.
This group has the nicest and most helpful People I’ve come across in a very long tim.

todays question is can I still buy a new quill?
Millrite mill production ended decades ago. Spare parts production as well. We have the machines, which were well designed, and just need to keep them in good operating condition however we can. Tim9 has done a very nice job of showing us his spindle repair, which looks really good. DC Morrison (http://www.dcmorrison.com/) does offer some support for our mills. Give them a call if you are looking for Millrite parts and/or knowledge.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I have to tell you I was winging it here. That said, I tend to check for any problems in my quill weekly and so far, it’s holding up good. No end play in the quill. Biggest problem now is that it looks like my drawbar is a little bent plus I can see a little wobble in my quill pulley. It’s not at the point of bugging me enough yet to investigate. I think at some point I’ll pull the pulley off and check to make sure that the housing which the pulley rides on isn’t out of round. I probably could make one of those without too much trouble. It just never ends....but I do love this hobby. So it’s all good.

In an earlier post I asked about a quill for my mv1 I actually meant a spindle . I really don’t care if it’s new, all I want is one in good condition. Any help is greatly appreciate.

Ok, now I’d like to know what are people putting in their quill. Mine has a pipe plug which actually came off pretty easily, so what is your choice of lube oil or grease?
i hope this doesn’t open a can of worms.

The manual says to put a very small amount of quality grease into the spindle once a year with normal usage, about half of what we put on a toothbrush would be about right. DO NOT OVER LUBE THE SPINDLE BEARINGS!

The manual says to put a very small amount of quality grease into the spindle once a year with normal usage, about half of what we put on a toothbrush would be about right. DO NOT OVER LUBE THE SPINDLE BEARINGS!
I’ve read everything I can and there seems to be various opinions other than what the manual states.

the point I left out of my last diatribe was wife wanted the house and I said sure as long as I get all three garage spaces. There has never been a car in that garage. We just bought her a new car so she can cart our dogs around. Ya a $50,000 dog hauler, I’m assuming she doesn’t like my old pick up truck

I’ve read everything I can and there seems to be various opinions other than what the manual states.
My attitude is RTFM (read the manual) and trust the designers and supporters of the machine until I find good reason to change course. In the case of Millrite spindles, I have not found reason to change so far, but I am not rabid about it...

My attitude is RTFM (read the manual) and trust the designers and supporters of the machine until I find good reason to change course. In the case of Millrite spindles, I have not found reason to change so far, but I am not rabid about it...
Thanks

Back