Millrite ???

Don't know why or for how long this one has resided outside in a field in Kansas, but it would have to be awfully cheap for me to take on something like that. Maybe they'll pay you to haul it off? I'd steer clear unless you enjoy restoration projects, and even then, like I said, it would have to be free or close to it.

Don't know why or for how long this one has resided outside in a field in Kansas, but it would have to be awfully cheap for me to take on something like that. Maybe they'll pay you to haul it off? I'd steer clear unless you enjoy restoration projects, and even then, like I said, it would have to be free or close to it.
Yes. I did not zoom in on that one until now. It is pretty rusty and will probably require a complete tear down and then maybe scraping it in while it is apart. Fairly big job... Looking at it, it also has a different frame motor added to it, with a pretty sketchy mounting of it. That may be why it is outside. Upside, it does look like it has a VFD.

It's actually in AR; kinda like a estate sale. Yeah, I like the price of $650, but the amount of work needed to get it ship shape is probably outside my abilities.

Other then rust it looks sorta clean to have been sitting outside without at least being covered!

I think they moved it onto the trailer to move it or prepare to move it to it's "new" owner.

that looks like a sweet mill - well worth rebuilding. You gotta know that rebuilding these things IS al lot of work, bit really doesn't need much skill, as long as the ways are intact. Everything else just needs persistence. Don't worry about the surface rust on the table.

The only touchy thing to fix is the spindle bearings. Everything else is out of the weather. if you grasp the spindle and it turns okay with not too much play, your rebuild will go very well with a lot less work. If I needed a mill, I'd go for it at that price, but here boat anchors go for 2k$.

---

My friend just finished restoring a 13" Clausing Toolroom lathe that had been in the elements (in rainy Ontario) for 2 years. You can tell it was formerly rusted, but only if you look really hard... runs beautifully and is very accurate. (it did need new bearings in the gear train, but they were pooched before it was decommissioned).

I passed on the Millrite, I know I can find a Mill closer to home.

Nice mill for someone but since it’s been outside... I‘D say they are asking too much. Looks like a 400.00 machine to me.
I like my Millrite. It’s a very capable mill in my opinion. Definitely much more ridged than my RF45. Easier to move the z axis too.
Plus....I’m now sure a full size Bridgeport would have been too big for my workshop which only has a 7-1/2’ ceiling height.

Back