Mini Lathe and Change gear calculators

jcmullis2

Registered
Registered
I have a wm210 mini lathe that has the 38mm spindle bore with a 56t gear. The banjo has 3 pairs of gears but the bottom pair is actually a gear and spacer.
The gear calculator on Little Machine Shop produces charts with only 4 gears. Can those gear combinations be used with my setup and if so how?
Here’s a couple of pics of a lathe like mine and metric chart
. A2ECCA17-A00F-4B3D-BB01-E2ECD3803318.jpeg016A609C-59C8-4007-9698-E3F093825543.jpeg

Is F the leadscrew or is there additional gearing between F and the leadscrew?
At first glance, it looks like this machine is optimized for cutting metric threads and may have a metric leadscrew. I see several common US thread pitches not listed: 16, 18, 32 and 36 tpi
It may be possible to buy extra gears to cut those, or close approximations of those. There are some gear programs online but you need to know what kind of leadscrew you have.
-Mark

Last edited:
The E/F gears are on the lead screw. A spacer and gear are used for E and F positions. On some configurations the spacer is in the E position and with others it’s in the F position.
The lead screw has a 2mm pitch. I should have included that, sorry about that.
Jim F. , I was confident the other fella had got me on the right path, but when I tried the combo for 16tpi the actual threads cut were about 34tpi or so. I was frustrated by then and needed some time before addressing the problem again. I pm’d the other fella a day or two later but he’s been busy with his life and not had time for my gear problem LoL. Needing to get this problem solved I decided to ask again and learn how to use the gear calculators for this lathe.

The spacer will be used to adjust the position depending on whether E or F gear is meshing with C or D.

I just noticed, that LMS calculator will not work with your set-up.

I just noticed, that LMS calculator will not work with your set-up.
Now that’s par for the course. I found a imperial threading chart on silencertalk. from a guy with one of these. Of course I don’t have all of the gears needed to try it out so I ordered the 2 gears off eBay. They’re mod 1 gears but I don’t know what gears I have. They’ll be here in a few weeks from China and if they’re the right size I’ll cut a 12mm hole and keyway and see what happens. Hopefully everything will work out but if not I’m only out about $10. If my 3d printer gets here before then I’ll just print them out.
I appreciate yours and everyone’s help with this. Happy holidays to you and yours

If the factory included true transposing gears this would be simpler, but they cost-cut.
Something to check carefully before buying
-Mark

Depending on your project? Trying to get the perfect pitch may not be necessary. Yes, I understand that perfect is best but sometimes you can fudge it. You could have gears now that will get you close within a few percent? And not all thread calculators on the net will do the best for you. You need to learn your lathe and gears that you have, sit down and do some head scratching.

Back