Mini lathe chuck change out

I will say this
Measure your lathe spindle , bolt hole spacing , register size
Then measure mounting specs on the chuck.
Might help to provide MM specs
Then call LMS. Even better if you can call them while standing in front of the machine.
It might be easier than going through the web sight….I find it frustrating
Or just take the opportunity to get the lathe time and experience
O have about 30 Hours total on my used lathe and finally broke down and made a plate for my Smithy to use the Bison 4 jaw chuck I have been looking at on the shelf for a year!
I started with a aluminum plate as it was the only material I had on hand and a good test run for me.
is alum. a viable material for a lathe chuck adapter plate?

O
Maybe your chuck is vendor specific like the one for my mini lathe. You have to measure your spindle dimensions any way to be sure that a new chuck will fit.
is alum. a viable material for a lathe chuck adapter plate?
No , but its what I had on hand. Never made anything like a backing plate before, lathe experience is a brake rotor lathe at work which collects dust for 15 years or so.
I have collectively 30 hours on my lathe 5 went into the backing plate.
Now that I have a idea of whats involved in making the backing plate. I started one out of cast.
Im working on my parting tool skills soon….. need to split this in 2 ……i dont have a band saw and its only about 1/2” thick into a cavity where I need cut it.
Material is tough to come by around here and I really dont have the budget to buy material at full retail. At this time in my lathe learning I rather spend money on tooling.

Attachments

• A571FD83-3940-4CA5-9154-CBDE04420393.jpeg
    A571FD83-3940-4CA5-9154-CBDE04420393.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Steel or cast iron is the preferred material for an adapter plate.
I made all 3 adapter plates for my mini lathe out of 20 mm aluminum (scrapyard). They are in use over 10 years and are still in mint condition. You have to clean the spindle and back plate very thoroughly before mounting but that is something you have to do also on a cast iron back plate. 99% of my time, I use a 3 jaw chuck. So I don't have to change the chuck very often.
I have never felt the need to make new steel back plates even it will only take a few hours to make on the CNC lathe. If I ever need to make a back plate, than I would use steel.

Making a back plate out of aluminum is far easier then when using steel. It is a lot easier to get a tight dimension on aluminum then on steel. So for a first back plate, aluminum would be my choice.

Another option is drilling the back of the 4 jaw to accept 3 bolts
My lathe is not the mx-400 but I think it is the same spindle.

Another option is drilling the back of the 4 jaw to accept 3 bolts
My lathe is not the mx-400 but I think it is the same spindle.
Just be mindful of your registration points.
I am just a new guy to machining but a mechanical guy. I could/would not be happy if the registrations where not a good fit.
Im not the OP
My lathe spindle ( one piece design) was larger than my 4 jaw. My 4 jaw did not have the meat around the outer edge to for bolt holes. Back side of factory 3 jaw and bison 4 jaw

Attachments

• 9DB9B7A2-700D-4C5B-8417-C1942BC2E046.jpeg
    9DB9B7A2-700D-4C5B-8417-C1942BC2E046.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 9B5C873E-CA1B-4E7B-B66E-B85E657CB1E8.jpeg
    9B5C873E-CA1B-4E7B-B66E-B85E657CB1E8.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 40
thanks I will look further into LMS but i guess i will have to call them the info on their page does not cover my application.
Just be aware that a 4 jaw chuck is a relatively heavy chuck and needs a powerful motor to turn it, the LMS 4 jaw chuck that I have was bought from a member here (Roycess , may he rest in peace) who could not use it due to the smaller HF mini lathe that he owned, it is working alright on my LMS lathe but it still takes a few seconds longer to come to full speed or to a dead stop.
LMS is the best source of info for you as you already know, the LMS chuck I have is also sold with or without a back plate.

Just be aware that a 4 jaw chuck is a relatively heavy chuck and needs a powerful motor to turn it, the LMS 4 jaw chuck that I have was bought from a member here (Roycess , may he rest in peace) who could not use it due to the smaller HF mini lathe that he owned, it is working alright on my LMS lathe but it still takes a few seconds longer to come to full speed or to a dead stop.
LMS is the best source of info for you as you already know, the LMS chuck I have is also sold with or without a back plate
1100 watts 1.5hp so that should not be an issue

O

No , but its what I had on hand. Never made anything like a backing plate before, lathe experience is a brake rotor lathe at work which collects dust for 15 years or so.
I have collectively 30 hours on my lathe 5 went into the backing plate.
Now that I have a idea of whats involved in making the backing plate. I started one out of cast.
Im working on my parting tool skills soon….. need to split this in 2 ……i dont have a band saw and its only about 1/2” thick into a cavity where I need cut it.
Material is tough to come by around here and I really dont have the budget to buy material at full retail. At this time in my lathe learning I rather spend money on tooling.
good luck with parting that!

good luck with parting that!
I know right lol probably gonna be a hold my beer moment

I will add. I have a cheap junkie parting tool that I got free with some other purchase. I’m gonna mount it up center it send it home until he cries.

The machining I’ve done so far with the cast and a brazed carbide tip cut really easy. I was able to take almost double the depth of cut with the cast in any other material and put it through this lathe. I’ll get it done one way or another.

Last edited:
I know right lol probably gonna be a hold my beer moment

I will add. I have a cheap junkie parting tool that I got free with some other purchase. I’m gonna mount it up center it send it home until he cries.

The machining I’ve done so far with the cast and a brazed carbide tip cut really easy. I was able to take almost double the depth of cut with the cast in any other material and put it through this lathe. I’ll get it done one way or another.
Find a friend with a bandsaw
My parting experience on my lathe with 3/4 hot rolled ended with me looking for holes in my roof, after I changed my shorts.
Jamming the lathe is not the worst thing that can happen.

Back