Mini lathe DRO suggestions please.

sundown57

Registered
Registered
Any suggestions or better yet pictures of DRO's mounted in a mini lathe? I have a 210x400mm so very limited on space. The Igauge seems like a cop out but i can justify $700+ from DRO pro. hoping someone can suggest a good happy medium. Thanks

Which model mini-lathe will shape many answers

The big problem with smaller lathes is the x axis scale. There is limited room for the scale without causing interference with lathe operation.. I have a 10 x22 lathe and decided to go with the TouchDRO and iGaging scales. My only compromises were lower resolution losing about 1" of tailstock reach. I can resolve to .0004' but on the x axis this is equivalent to .0008". For most work, this isn't an issue. For close tolerance cuts, I approach slowly and checking fit anyway as a DRO doesn't say anything about tool or part deflection.

Since I did my install, magnetic scales have become available that could possibly fit. I would check with @ycroosh on this forum about options. He has tested a variety of different scales and will give you some honest advice.

Your cross feed drive is pretty neat.

thanks , if you like that i should post a picture of how i used a windshield wiper for the other power feed .

I use Igaging (Absolute EZ View)on my mini mill, found a Canadian eBay seller for the AC power adaptor .
In case you're interested:
s-l1600.jpg

Back