Mini lathe electronics issue

NOBLNG

Registered
Registered
I have a mini lathe from Princess Auto. I stalled it and it has not run since. I had a millwright buddy over and we couldn’t isolate the issue. The motor (250w, 110v dc) still runs if hot wired. Does anyone sell a complete upgraded control unit for this lathe? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 421C74ED-598F-4A2B-B2F2-38D8A495C99C.jpeg
    421C74ED-598F-4A2B-B2F2-38D8A495C99C.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 18
  • A8A5F73B-B8CE-413C-93F7-793E3BCE0722.jpeg
    A8A5F73B-B8CE-413C-93F7-793E3BCE0722.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DDCF232E-E7C3-455B-BB7B-37234EA89357.jpeg
    DDCF232E-E7C3-455B-BB7B-37234EA89357.jpeg
    460.1 KB · Views: 18
I have a mini lathe from Princess Auto. I stalled it and it has not run since. I had a millwright buddy over and we couldn’t isolate the issue. The motor (250w, 110v dc) still runs if hot wired. Does anyone sell a complete upgraded control unit for this lathe? Thanks for any help!
Here you go.

John

Is there a fuse that is blown or corroded contact? Check that, if you haven't already.

I assume its out of warranty?

PA does a straight up exchange in the first year of ownership on most of what they sell…

The fuse is under that black cap above the RPM trim knob be sure to check that first before going nuts with a lot of other things. This happens to me when I stall my mini mill that why I keep 5amp fuses in stock.

It does sound like a fuse popped- check that out
That looks like a scr type control; generally pretty reliable
If I owned it I would drill some more ventilation holes in the enclosure around the 5 heatsinks
-Mark
ps can the drive belt be loosened a bit to allow some slip?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I was hoping to maybe find a complete control box to swap in, since I am not good with electronics. The fuse is good and we did bypass it to be sure. It is out of warranty and PA no longer sells them or any parts for them. My buddy thought that possibly one or more of those heat sinks (mosfets?) may be bad.

There are some online troubleshooting guides you can consult to help out. The fact that you can hot-wire the motor and get it to work means it's not a brushless motor, plus the motor is OK. Not to say it's the cause of your problem but my mini-lathe stopped working because the fuse holder failed, basically broke in two. On the outside it looked fine.

If you don't have much in the way of measurement gear the best approach might be to contact olduhfguy. From all I've seen he seems like a pretty honest fellow.

I doubt it's a solid state failure- after the fuse my guess would be the current sensing resistor or a trace on the board opened up.
You really need a diagram and/or some level of experience with these things to fix
You could substitute a KB brand controller but I don't know if the cost is worthwhile vs the cost of the lathe

Last edited:
Back