Mini lathe headstock herringbone gears

I don't have any pictures and I'm working away from home for 2 months.

The TM motor sits behind the lathe and turns an intermediate jack where the original motor was mounted. Sounds like you did the same. I can't find a link to the banjo. If I was going to do it again I'd go with a motor on the lead screw, infinitely adjustable and quiet !!
Good to know I'm on the right path then lol.

The intermediate pulley mount I made is a little too flimsy having been made out of bed frame angle iron, still only mounted with the two bolts the original motor used. Absolutely horrible to work with when I need to take it apart. Because it has some flex, I shredded the timing belt more than once and got a 5 pack off aliexpress in case it happens again. Seems to be synonymous to your plastic gears.

I didn't have a 2" piece of aluminum, so I chucked some 2" mild steel and it seemed pretty alright with 100 thou off the diameter, or 50 thou off the radius, in back gear at 350rpm. Also using the 80 tooth change gears, the lowest it can go stock. The carbide insert I had in it was happier than I've ever seen it, breaking chips into grains of rice. I don't think I'd want to go much deeper just due to bed rigidity though.

Back