Mini Lathe Help! Wobble

brandont521

Registered
Registered
Hi Guy,

I’m brand new here, and new to using a lathe. I have a HF 10x18 mini lathe that i bought for turning duck calls. I bought a 4 jaw chuck and expanding mandrel to hold the wood blanks. I set it up last night and noticed the chuck and mandrel wobble.
The chuck i’m using is a WEN self centering chuck and feels like decent quality.
I however cannot foe the life of me figure out why it is wobbling.
Has anyone experienced this before and what is the fix?
here are a couple of videos. you can see the slight wobble. Thanks for the help!
View attachment trim.18A4E43D-4D6F-4307-AF39-7BB266F271C6.MOV
View attachment trim.F4AEE1AB-CE6F-4321-B17C-06B08106FC80.MOV
View attachment trim.18A4E43D-4D6F-4307-AF39-7BB266F271C6.MOV
View attachment trim.F4AEE1AB-CE6F-4321-B17C-06B08106FC80.MOV

Hi Brandon, it's called runout and it could be from several places. You ideally would use a dial indicator or test indicator to check the spindle, the chuck mount and the chuck itself.
How does the chuck mount on the spindle? If it is threaded there may be burrs on the threads. Worst case the spindle is bent. You might find the chuck has most of the error in which case you can replace it, but if it's a bent spindle you might want to return the whole machine.
-Mark

Probably the first thing you should do is get a plunger-style dial indicator and a cheap ($20?) magnetic stand. You can then test if the chuck or the spindle have runout. It is quite possible the chuck is not mounted completely true (a burr on the chuck, one bolt looser than the others, some grease or metal flakes could all do it). If those are fine, check the mandrel to make sure a) it is mounted true in the 4-jaw, then b) is true in and of itself.

You'll need the dial indicator for setting things up in the 4-jaw, regardless, so it won't be a wasted purchase.

Hi Brandon, it's called runout and it could be from several places. You ideally would use a dial indicator or test indicator to check the spindle, the chuck mount and the chuck itself.
How does the chuck mount on the spindle? If it is threaded there may be burrs on the threads. Worst case the spindle is bent. You might find the chuck has most of the error in which case you can replace it, but if it's a bent spindle you might want to return the whole machine.
-Mark

Thanks Mark! Yes the chuck is threaded on to the spindle. I’ll check for burrs. And i’ll pick up a dial indicator.

Probably the first thing you should do is get a plunger-style dial indicator and a cheap ($20?) magnetic stand. You can then test if the chuck or the spindle have runout. It is quite possible the chuck is not mounted completely true (a burr on the chuck, one bolt looser than the others, some grease or metal flakes could all do it). If those are fine, check the mandrel to make sure a) it is mounted true in the 4-jaw, then b) is true in and of itself.

You'll need the dial indicator for setting things up in the 4-jaw, regardless, so it won't be a wasted purchase.

Thanks ! To rest to see if the spindle is bent would I just touch the dial indicator to the inside of the threaded area?

Hi and welcome :)

I'm not sure how accurate wood lathes normally are, is this the one you're using?

Most of us here are using metal lathes which are designed for a different purpose. I do know that some folks work with wood on their metal lathes and if high accuracy is needed you might have to consider a different tool eventually. However, getting a dial indicator and stand is a good idea not matter what.

This
and this
will let you find the source of the runout you're experiencing.

Cheers,

John

You would touch the indicator to an un-threaded area on the spindle surface, either an outside or inside surface, if your spindle is hollow (some aren't). An indicator that has 0.001" (one thousandth) increments would be fine
You may need a test indicator rather than a dial indicator to reach inside the spindle bore

Last edited:
We do have a woodworking section here also:

Lots of folks on here also learn from YouTube videos, here's a start for setting up your lathe.

It doesn't look like he uses and indicator but he goes through some basic setup stuff you may want to check before going any further.

Cheers,

John

We do have a woodworking section here also:

Lots of folks on here also learn from YouTube videos, here's a start for setting up your lathe.

It doesn't look like he uses and indicator but he goes through some basic setup stuff you may want to check before going any further.

Cheers,

John
Awesome thanks - super helpful. I have a lot to learn

Hi and welcome :)

I'm not sure how accurate wood lathes normally are, is this the one you're using?

Most of us here are using metal lathes which are designed for a different purpose. I do know that some folks work with wood on their metal lathes and if high accuracy is needed you might have to consider a different tool eventually. However, getting a dial indicator and stand is a good idea not matter what.

This
and this
will let you find the source of the runout you're experiencing.

Cheers,

John
Yep - that’s the lathe I have. I wasn’t sure if I was going to be into turning so I didn’t buy a super expensive (or nice) lathe. I’m hoping I won’t regret it haha

Thanks for the links. I’ll be getting those things !

Back