Mini lathe shimming

Thanks, it is a 7x14, I haven't moved on to measuring the tail stock but probably has the same problem, I didn't know Grizzly sold beds.

Super glue might be a better choice. I just used some super glue to hold a sight base to the receiver on a 22 rifle. This was to be a temporary hold while I drilled and tapped the receiver for the screws to mount the base to the receiver. I was surprised that the two parts instantly stuck together and would not come apart with light tapping with a hammer.

I think that the first thing you need to do is determine where the error actually lies and go from there.

If you're going to use locktite or superglue, see if you can sink some dowel (or, really, any) pins into the saddle with less than 1mm projection, then drill corresponding holes in the shim. That will provide a register when gluing, and should resist the shear stress on the join.

Thanks, it is a 7x14, I haven't moved on to measuring the tail stock but probably has the same problem, I didn't know Grizzly sold beds.
Unfortunately, it looks like Grizzly doesn't sell a replacement 7x14 bed. Sorry to get your hopes up :oops:

LMS will sell one to you for about $154 so a bit of an ouch! there. The saddle is the component that has the biggest impact on precision so perhaps a shim under it is the most expedient way to go. Kind of a bummer though....

Back