Mini mill recommendations

bfjou812

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
I just joined . I wanted to find what most people who do hobby machining think is the best mini mill. I have pretty much zero experience at machining. I can get by but not like you all. I'm looking for a mini mill,something small, not going full production, just to make some small parts and also learn something about machining. I've been looking at the Little Machine Shop 3990 and some accessories, like the x axis motorized feed. Is that a good place to start? Thank you in advance.

Hi Welcome to HM,
You've come to the right place, lots of help here.
Before I can recommend a mill, it would help to know what kind of projects, parts and materials you are going to be working on?

Check out the PM-25MV mill and its line. I was a newbie too a few months ago and went this route. Its owner gives great support and is a sponsor here. In fact, he has his forum called Precision Matthews.

I considered the LMS mills and decided to go for a PM based on this support. I'm very happy with my purchase.

I went the LMS 3990 route and have been very happy with the mill and the support,, did some posting about here,,for the money, tach, DRO's, basic spindle lock and better drill chuck before the power feed table..

I have the Canadian version of LMS 3990, if space in your shop is limited but have the budget for a more expensive mill, look for any LMS or PM model that comes with a powerful brushless motor and the biggest table .
LMS and Precision Mathews both have great customer service, my experience dealing with LMS has been very positive.

Hi Welcome to HM,
You've come to the right place, lots of help here.
Before I can recommend a mill, it would help to know what kind of projects, parts and materials you are going to be working on?
I would be doing small brackets ,slots some step type work. Probably would be steel , plastic or aluminum

Hi all,
I just joined . I wanted to find what most people who do hobby machining think is the best mini mill. I have pretty much zero experience at machining. I can get by but not like you all. I'm looking for a mini mill,something small, not going full production, just to make some small parts and also learn something about machining. I've been looking at the Little Machine Shop 3990 and some accessories, like the x axis motorized feed. Is that a good place to start? Thank you in advance.

As I do CNC machining by trade I wanted to spend the extra money on the necessary accessories that would help me complete my small projects faster and with less risk of mistakes. I went with the LMS 4190 and bought the power feed accessory. Now over a year later the extra $400 was SO worth it as far as a substantial time saver and so much less repetition on the handwheels (which ultimately is easier on your working arm muscles and joints) . Something to think about when you are old and hagged out like me..

Last edited:
I just bought a LMS 4962 ( Sieg X2D) about 6 weeks ago. I also purchased the belt drive conversion kit. The belt drive conversion kit is installed and works very well. I have had plenty of power for the milling jobs I’ve completed thus far.
The machine needed very little adjustment to perform well. Very satisfied thus far. Like yourself, only inet debt to do small projects. This machine is perfect because it doesn’t take up much space. It is adequately rigid as long as you do not take heavy cuts.

Back