Mini Split install

I will post and let everyone know how it goes. It will be pretty easy to install, the air handler is in and it;s just bolt the compressor down and wire it up. The hardest part will be stuffing the cooling lines into the line covers and making it look nice.

I just placed the order today, so at least a week or more before everything gets here. It's coming from Kentucky. Not much I can do before then.

Last edited:
I will post and let everyone know how it goes. It will be pretty easy to install, the air handler is in and it;s just bolt the compressor down and wire it up. The hardest part will be stuffing the cooling lines into the line covers and making it look nice.

I just placed the order today, so at least a week or more before everything gets here. It's coming from Kentucky. Not much I can do before then.
yep, the covers were the hardest part. especially the bend out of the house. The housing doesn't really allow for a swooping curve, so you have to work the line in your hands to prevent kinking.

Yeah I have to turn a 90 degree corner and I don't think there is any way to make it fit inside the cover corner fitting without kinking the lines. Especially with the heavy cover that's on the lines. It's hard to grab and do any bending with them. I'll just have to have use a bigger radius and have the corner exposed. The shop is in the back of my house so looks aren't a huge deal, except for me and my obsession to make everything look as good as I can. I don't want it to look like crap.

Last edited:
Didn't read this entire post (started in2018) but I put in a 18K Mr. Cool for my shop. I had a service tech come out to look at my hanging propane heater and he mentioned that Mr. Cool "was one of the good ones". I trust him, he got my house heat pump running properly after 6 others failed. In the end my MC works good - DIY installation.

Maybe I missed it - how well insulated is your shop? We are planning a retirement home, and there will be two garages. One for the car and truck, and a separate (both attached) 1,000 sq. ft. garage/shop with 9 ft. ceiling for the toys. Currently planning R19 walls and R50 perhaps ceiling insulation in the shop and was thinking of putting a 36k BTU mini-split system on it. Winter temps down into the 20's night and 40-50 days, summers up around 90 F days. I'm thinking it will work, but still researching....
I am still working on insulating my garage, even with the un-insulated metal overhead door it only bumps my electric bill about 30 bucks a month.

I’m dealing with a lack of power in the garage also.
Who puts 3 outlets in a garage on 1 15 amp breaker?.
I guess if you park cars in the garage you may need to plug in a charger.
Who parks a car in the garage?
Don’t answer, it’s a retoricle question.
I’m dealing with it but come on.
I had to add plugs in my garage.

I installed a Mr. Cool unit in my small electronics lab and the most surprising thing to me is how quiet it is. There is a huge rush of air from the outside unit and it's almost dead quiet. Similarly, the inside unit is very quiet and unobtrusive.

I'm not sure about mr cool being one of the good ones since no hvac companies will service them, at least where I live. But they are relatively easy to install and it was the best way for me to go at this time. A complete new high quality system was quoted at $11k. So the $1300 for a new compressor and lines made sense. Especially since I can install it myself.

As I said before I'm 66 and had a stroke so not sure how many more years I'll be in the shop and not pushing up daisy's. After I croak I really don't care if it's still working.

I'm not sure about mr cool being one of the good ones since no hvac companies will service them, at least where I live. But they are relatively easy to install and it was the best way for me to go at this time. A complete new high quality system was quoted at $11k. So the $1300 for a new compressor and lines made sense. Especially since I can install it myself.

As I said before I'm 66 and had a stroke so not sure how many more years I'll be in the shop and not pushing up daisy's. After I croak I really don't care if it's still working.
I'll be 61 this year and plan to retire in 6 years, I plan to keep moving until I Just cannot, as long as I can get out and tinker that is what I'll do even if its slow and labored....

I'm still moving, but I'd say I'm at 50% of what I used to be. I still run my machines when I get an order in for a transmission part. I have plenty of opportunities to run my machining center and turning center full time, my previous employer bugs me every few months about it. But I get tired to easily. And when I get tired I'm unstable on my feet. Something about the new pathways my brain made after the stroke that tires me out so easily. But im luckier than most, I had great insurance and good doctors and rehab people.

Back