Miniature Surface Grinder…damn

SmokeWalker

Registered
Registered
I should have bought that Sanford miniature surface grinder when I had the chance 3 years ago. Now I need one, and they're nowhere to be found! Any advice?

I use my mill with an angle grinder wheel mounted on an arbor- works for me!

Cover ways etc to minimize grinding dust intrusion.
That is a good idea! What kind of grinding wheel do you use and how the grinder mounted? Do you use the edge of the wheel?

That is a good idea! What kind of grinding wheel do you use and how the grinder mounted? Do you use the edge of the wheel?
Sounds like a great idea to me too and would also like to know how martik does it

I use my mill with an angle grinder wheel mounted on an arbor- works for me!

Cover ways etc to minimize grinding dust intrusion.
Could you post some pics for us. Why didn't I think of it?

I use the standard metal (type 27?) grinding wheel about 1/4" thick. Produces a mirror like finish.

Used it to make all my parallels from hardened stock. I plan to make a table on linear rails with a mag chuck to speed up the passes but it goes pretty fast with power feed. A finer quill feed would be useful too, not sure how to accomplish that.

Edit: added photo of diamond grinding wheel (good for ceramic tiles etc) and cutoff wheel ( slitting saw substitute) worn down one works better as it is more rigidsg4.jpg

sg1.jpgsg2.jpgsg3.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. Looks like I have a new project, making a mount for my grinder on my mini mill.

Watch out for all the grit around machine tools that were not designed to work in that environment. It will lap your machine in more than you want it to, and can be the death of it. Decent grinding machines have much better grit protection than machines that are designed to make chips. Not trying to say that grinding on a mill or a lathe cannot be done, but proper protection of the machine, and cleaning it up scrupulously after use, become quite important.

Thats great. Atwhat rpm do you have to run it to get a nice finish, because my knee tipe mill only runs up to 2000rpm?

Back