Missed it by thaaaat much...

I'm still new at parting, and not sure how high is too high, but a little high bangs the nub, and causes some distress at the end.

With parting it's more critical, you want to be right on center line. But it's better to be high than low. High would cause rubbing. Too low & there's a greater chance at digging in & then bam.....

20200224_152828.jpg

I didn't break this cause of that though. It was my fault for being stupid. But that's ok, I rarely use this tool anyway cause I'm not a fan of it & the belt sander made it look better. :big grin:

20200224_154300.jpg

If it's quiet, I'm happy, if there is noise, I got problems. When I get more consistent, I have some good stuff to use. Getting square seems to be problematic. There seems to be several ways for the blade to be juuust a touch off. 1-2-3 blocks to the cross slide, blade to the chuck, blade to the work piece can be off a bit.

I turned my bar stock, took measurements, and calculated my center height at 3.910. I have a bar that I'm using to catch the top edge of the tool, and my sneaking up on that dimension went 3.9104 tall. I faced an aluminum bar, my 1/32 NR insert tool leaves no noticeable nub to touch, or fingernail catch. My 1/64 NR insert tool looks smooth, but I can catch a noticeable nub with my fingernail. Not sure I should chase this with the possibility of stacked tolerances, and measurements + or -, and the nub gets worse, I would scrap the piece and start over.

Sorry about that chief . ;)

If it's quiet, I'm happy, if there is noise, I got problems. When I get more consistent, I have some good stuff to use. Getting square seems to be problematic. There seems to be several ways for the blade to be juuust a touch off. 1-2-3 blocks to the cross slide, blade to the chuck, blade to the work piece can be off a bit.

Take your height gauge and put the base against the chuck and the top of the gauge against your parting blade. When contact is squared on both ends, the parting tool will be perpendicular to the work and you can lock it down. Easy, peasy.

I'll give that a try too.

Back