Missing Woodruff

aaronrumple

Registered
Registered
I'm just about done with the teardown of my 12" 101.28910.
Only one part has turned up missing. There was no Woodruff key holding the bull gear on. The parts list has just a part number. Is this a standard or nonstandard key?
At least the missing key explains the low milage of this machine. There is evidence of a prior disassembly. The front baffled has a nick that looks like they didn't remove the woodruff before taking out the tailstock. That's probably when it was lost. It looks like they continued to turn wood using just the set screw on the bull gear. It has 3-4 indents where it was clamped down. But at least it didn't spin on the shaft.

It is a No. 15 Woodruff Key. Hasn't changed since the first 10" came out. Most of the Craftsman parts lists show whatever was the current Atlas or Clausing part number but some of the Atlas ones show actual commercial numbers for things like the Woodruff keys.

Thanks!
It is a No. 15 Woodruff Key. Hasn't changed since the first 10" came out. Most of the Craftsman parts lists show whatever was the current Atlas or Clausing part number but some of the Atlas ones show actual commercial numbers for things like the Woodruff keys.

The only time I needed one I just made it. Turn a shaft to diameter, part off to thickness and mill down In the vise to desired height. Easy.

I would probably go with the 8630 Alloy one. Most likely the original one was more like the 1018-1045 one.

Also, the fact that you CAN does not translate to you MUST make it from scratch. That attitude is a pitfall that too many people fall into. Time is usually money unless you just couldn't come up with anything better to do.

And how much would 25 cost from your local hardware store? :)

Back