Mist coolant?

Water soluble DOES NOT promote rust.......
Not my experience,,,,, I’ve tried it and my machines stared to rust. Went back to oil, either in coolant pump or applied by brush and no rust.

Not my experience,,,,, I’ve tried it and my machines stared to rust. Went back to oil, either in coolant pump or applied by brush and no rust.
You mixed it wrong.
Every CNC machine I have ever seen uses it, our shop uses it on all machine.

I use TrimSol from Master Chemical on my Tormach. It's water-based; I go with a 10-1 mix ratio. I clean the chips off the vise and table with a wash down of TrimSol (have a garden hose spray nozzle plumbed to the coolant pump). Then everything gets a shot of LPS 1 (pump bottle) after doing the rinse down. If I don't clear A36 or 1018 chips from the chip pan, they will rust up. I've had some residual TrimSol left on the machine surfaces and did not have rust after the fact. But I still do the LPS 1 squirt down just in case.

Bruce

You mixed it wrong.
Every CNC machine I have ever seen uses it, our shop uses it on all machine.
You do not know that for a fact. It is possible, however. I have used water soluble oils in the past, but I always made sure to dry off the machines and spray them down with a penetrating oil like WD-40. That is why I was thinking, "Why not simply use WD-40 as the coolant spray?" The only reasonable answer of which I can think is, "Cost". As per some of the responses here, it would seem the water-soluble oil can be less expensive.

Back