Mister suggestions wanted

I recently went with a fog buster setup I'm very happy with it for my use. I was concerned about mess with any coolant system. The fog buster is typically set to the minimum amount of coolant and runs at a low regulated pressure.

It's all I've ever used so I can't really compare it to a proper mister. I was skeptical that it would still be a mess and have been very pleasantly surprised at how little there is to clean up after using it.

I've got a California air compressor and it handles it fine.

I looked at a post on those and how to make your own. Might go that route one day.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I started with a cool mist system. By cool mist system, I mean one that the compressed air is directed through a venturi close the the output nozzle and the venturi sucks up the coolant which is stored under normal atmospheric pressure (i.e. no pressure) It had several drawbacks
1. Took a lot of air volume
2. Venturi feed took a minute or so to start the flow of coolant after you turned on the air flow
3. Got a lot of aerosol of the coolant (Myst).
I then switched to a fog-buster style. By that I mean one that the incoming pressurized air is split so some goes to the output nozzle and some goes to pressurize the coolant reservoir to force feed the coolant. This has worked well for me. some of the things I like
1. Must lower air volume needed
2. no misting, just small droplets of fluid on the parts and most importantly the air is cooled dramatically by the rapid evaporation and expansion
3, Can control the Air flow separate from the fluid volume
4. Starts and stops almost instantly so I only have it on for the exact time it is needed.

I would never go back to a cool-mist system

I started with a cool mist system. By cool mist system, I mean one that the compressed air is directed through a venturi close the the output nozzle and the venturi sucks up the coolant which is stored under normal atmospheric pressure (i.e. no pressure) It had several drawbacks
1. Took a lot of air volume
2. Venturi feed took a minute or so to start the flow of coolant after you turned on the air flow
3. Got a lot of aerosol of the coolant (Myst).
I then switched to a fog-buster style. By that I mean one that the incoming pressurized air is split so some goes to the output nozzle and some goes to pressurize the coolant reservoir to force feed the coolant. This has worked well for me. some of the things I like
1. Must lower air volume needed
2. no misting, just small droplets of fluid on the parts and most importantly the air is cooled dramatically by the rapid evaporation and expansion
3, Can control the Air flow separate from the fluid volume
4. Starts and stops almost instantly so I only have it on for the exact time it is needed.

I would never go back to a cool-mist system

Did you make your own system? If so what plans did you use?

Cutting oil is my blood.

I just bought the name brand stuff. HERE
However, I have seen lot's of DIY fog-buster style builds on Hobby-Machinist.

I just bought the name brand stuff. HERE
However, I have seen lot's of DIY fog-buster style builds on Hobby-Machinist.

I came to the same conclusion. It seems a little pricey - I bought the mini and an extra nozzle (needed super short for my tiny desktop CNC). Everything that arrived is top quality and I'm unlikely to need to buy / replace anything at my level of usage. If I'd gone the build it myself rout, there would have been more time and effort involved to offset what's not really a premium. With everything available tomorrow and super cheap our sense of value gets distorted. The company is top notch and you can get someone on the phone if you have any issues. Well worth paying a price that keeps them in business.

Don't get me wrong, if you have the time, enjoy making your own stuff or are budget constrained, (pick two) go for it and make your own!

For the moment I think I will try the mister. As my wife’s friend has some extra airbrush compressors she is giving me. I can order the mister manifold off of Amazon. That will get me rolling for now. I will research the fog buster option and make one of those down the road for sure.

As I live to make stuff.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back