Mitetoyo from Jepan

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm shopping for a dial test indicator and saw what appears to be a new Mitutoyo DTI on Ebay for $20...

1.jpg

That can't be right, yep Mitetoyo, Jeweled, made in Jepan

2.jpg

You see guys in the movies selling their their fake Rollex and Rolax watches, I didn't know that was a thing for machinists. :abnornal:

Jepan, China? If you operate the lever, the dial MIGHT even turn!

I suppose give them some credit for not full blown intent to deceive or disguise to the obvious well known brand. Because there are those out there too. I've heard of calipers that were copied to the Nth degree & 70% of price just to set the hook. But when the fellow examined circuit board & other features under magnification, it showed the obvious differences & deficiencies. That's just wrong.

But they must have a sense of humor. Like the knockoff Henckel knives with the 2 little men logo.. except their arms point in the opposite direction, or spell theirs Henkels or Henckles. Or 'Made in USA' which is a brand name, not country of manufacturer origin. I guess I'll never understand the copycat mentality. If you can make something 70% of the quality for half the price (without infringing on patents etc.), why not just call it your own brand? Compete in the market with your team uniform on? Strive to make subsequent versions 90% or 110% of the competition? My favorite is a line of electronic RC receivers called 'lemon' brand. Now that's distinctive! LOL

I suppose give them some credit for not full blown intent to deceive or disguise to the obvious well known brand. Because there are those out there too. I've heard of calipers that were copied to the Nth degree & 70% of price just to set the hook. But when the fellow examined circuit board & other features under magnification, it showed the obvious differences & deficiencies. That's just wrong.

But they must have a sense of humor. Like the knockoff Henckel knives with the 2 little men logo.. except their arms point in the opposite direction, or spell theirs Henkels or Henckles. Or 'Made in USA' which is a brand name, not country of manufacturer origin. I guess I'll never understand the copycat mentality. If you can make something 70% of the quality for half the price (without infringing on patents etc.), why not just call it your own brand? Compete in the market with your team uniform on? Strive to make subsequent versions 90% or 110% of the competition? My favorite is a line of electronic RC receivers called 'lemon' brand. Now that's distinctive! LOL
Ours is much less than an ideal world, where things would be as you say, but its the only one (world) that we have. Buyer beware! Has it ever been any different? Remember the phrase, caveat emptor?

Lol... At least they get a A for effort...or not. :grin:

It gave me a chuckle imagining a shady looking guy with a trench coat standing outside a machine shop.

Psst, psst. Hey buddy, you wanna buy a dial indicator? calipers? how about a set of parallels? I got all the good stuff, Broan and Shurp, Staret, Mitetoyo...

It gave me a chuckle imagining a shady looking guy with a trench coat standing outside a machine shop.

Psst, psst. Hey buddy, you wanna buy a dial indicator? calipers? how about a set of parallels? I got all the good stuff, Broan and Shurp, Staret, Mitetoyo...

That's an interesting mental picture. Also needs to be selling from van down by the river. lol...

Aw, c’mon, you guys, give ‘em some credit. At least they spelled “jeweled” correctly. And, besides, it’s not only “anti”, it’s also “magnetic”. It’s a steal for 20 bucks. A steal, I tell you!

Tom

Here is another great deal, New Mitutoyo by Fowler! Only $17.95

0-0.8mm Precision Dial Test Indicator Level Gauge Scale Metric Dovetail Rails​

Description:
  • 100% brand new and high quality
  • Material: Metal
  • Color: As the picture shows
  • Dial Test Indicator Gauge
    Feature
    Fowler inch/metric dial test indicator with yellow face is designed to measure surface variations in narrow or recessed areas
    0-0.8mm measuring range, 0.0005"/0.01mm graduations, 0-40-0 balanced inch readings, and 0.001mm balanced metric readings
    Auto-reversing contact point and adjustable bezel
    Three dovetail mounts for mounting indicator from the top,back,or front
    One-piece housing with satin chrome finish provides durability

This dial test indicator is designed for taking measurements in machining,layout,and inspection work.The dial has microfine black graduations for 0-40-0 balanced inch readings and red graduations for 0.001mm balanced metric readings.A movement and an auto-reversing contact point provide smooth action.A knurled bezel rotates 360 degrees to zero the reading at any location.Three dovetail mounts on the top,back,and front of the indicator provide a range of mounting options.The one-piece housing and satin chrome finish provides durability.

This dial test indicator includes one 3/8" and one 5/32" dovetail clamp and a molded case.Dial readings with three digits,0-40-0 for example,signify that the indicator has a balanced dial. Dial readings with two digits, 0-100 for example,indicate the dial has a continuous dial.Balanced dials are used for reading the difference from a specific surface reference point.Continuous dials are used for direct readings and usually have a larger measurement range than balanced dials.
    Specifications

Face 1-1/4" diameter yellow face
    Dial type and reading 0-40-0 balanced inch and 0-.25-0 balanced metric readings
    Range 0-0.8mm
    Graduations 0.0005"/0.01mm
    Contact point length 1/2"
    Dovetail clamps 3/8" and 5/32"
    Mounting type Dovetail
    Characteristic & Function

A magnetic stand that uses a switchable permanent magnet for convenient mounting onto flat iron or steel surfaces. The arm can be hydraulically locked in any position using the knob on the upright . Useful for holding dial indicators or dial test indicators during alignment operations.
  • Quantity:1Pc
  • Note: Due to the difference between different monitors, the picture may not reflect the actual color of the item. Thank you!
Package includes:
  • 1* Fowler yellow-face dial test indicator
    1* 3/8" dovetail clamp
    1* 5/32" dovetail clamp
    1* Molded case
D9202.JPG

Back