Mitutoyo #514/520 Height Gage - Missing parts

Look this stuff up. I went through this when I got mine off Ebay. Ended up in a Japanese distributor (in Japanese of course) but found numbers. This is what I found works on mine. Not where I can see mine now. I also have a scribe without so much offset that I first bought, but doesn't work good. Can measure mine tomorrow if needed. Good Luck!! Charles

PS. Also included PDF's from original search. Might give you a starting point.

Vernier Gauge Parts

Mitutoyo Scriber #900258; Shars #303-4476 2.4”X1.2”X.25”X.5”

Mitutoyo Clamp #901385; Enco #712-1534

Attachments

• HeightGages.pdf
    651.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 151271_151274.pdf
    983.3 KB · Views: 4
I have one down the basement that I'll measure up . I believe it's a Starrett but it doesn't work with my height gage . Not sure it would work with yours either but I'll check

This one would not work either . Hope you locate one that will .

Thank you Will for the effort.
Yeah, the #520 has the satin base, the #514 has the green hammered paint base according to the catalog.
They both look to be thick (wide) (.350) shank at the mount clamp compared to B&S & Starrett which research indicates are usually 1/4".
I had a Fowler digital similar to yours in the rear of the pict but sold it off a few years ago. (drat...)
Perhaps I'll peddle the Starrett carriers I have in order to finance the restro of this puppy.

View attachment 307062

Ah ok. I thought yours looked like my old Mitu height gauge that had a smaller shank scribe but then again that was a smaller 5".

The scribe on my Mitu is about .350". Here are quick measurements of the clamp.

Attachments

• 20191203_170056.jpg
    20191203_170056.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 20191203_165828.jpg
    20191203_165828.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20191203_170228.jpg
    20191203_170228.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20191203_165956.jpg
    20191203_165956.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
Ah ok. I thought yours looked like my old Mitu height gauge that had a smaller shank scribe but then again that was a smaller 5".

The scribe on my Mitu is about .350". Here are quick measurements of the clamp.
Nice! Thanks! x2. I haven't been able to find any details on that piece.
It's odd that in none of the tooling catalogs have I been able to find any reference to the carriers/clamps.
(Starrett calls them 'carriers' in their catalog.)
Look this stuff up. I went through this when I got mine off Ebay. Ended up in a Japanese distributor (in Japanese of course) but found numbers. This is what I found works on mine. Not where I can see mine now. I also have a scribe without so much offset that I first bought, but doesn't work good. Can measure mine tomorrow if needed. Good Luck!! Charles

PS. Also included PDF's from original search. Might give you a starting point.

Vernier Gauge Parts

Mitutoyo Scriber #900258; Shars #303-4476 2.4”X1.2”X.25”X.5”

Mitutoyo Clamp #901385; Enco #712-1534
And the same to you Chewy! Nice find.
Several cups of coffee in the morning and searching and I didn't even come close to that detail of information.

Might be time to call my old contact up in Aurora. Wore her out when I was trying to find replace parts for my DRO a few years back.

Nice! Thanks! x2. I haven't been able to find any details on that piece.
It's odd that in none of the tooling catalogs have I been able to find any reference to the carriers/clamps.
(Starrett calls them 'carriers' in their catalog.)

NP. I've seen em for sale new on ebay before. They were called "scribe clamps" or "scriber clamps", well the Mitu ones anyway.

Here's one (didn't check if it's the size you need, just an example of the name & price)

Aside from finding or making the scribe and clamps, the biggest issue will be getting the base and the scribe mount ground and/or lapped flat and to the proper geometry. It would be nice to have access to one of these (or similar) for testing:

Aside from finding or making the scribe and clamps, the biggest issue will be getting the base and the scribe mount ground and/or lapped flat and to the proper geometry. It would be nice to have access to one of these (or similar) for testing:
Yes it would. Use to in past positions back in the day, but no longer.
Will have to clean it up as best as I can. Probably just end up as bench art in the end.
Oversized dial indicator stand. :grin:

Back