[Newbie] Mobile Base for Lathe?

I recently made a stand for a cnc machine. it only weighs about 450lbs but I used 3" square 1/8" wall tubing which added another 250lbs to the weight. Anyway I used leveling castors on the legs like these :
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_10?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=footmaster+leveling+caster&sprefix=footmaster,tools,259&crid=1YXJ6FMSI5H0B
I believe they make them to support up to 3300lbs per wheel. They aren't cheap, but work very well and allow you to move the machine easily and then lock down the leg and level easily. A great option if you want to make your own steel stand.
Those leveling casters look similar to the Carrymaster. The downside of that approach is that the diameter of the wheel is relatively small, so rolling will be more difficult if the floor's not completely flat and clean. Of course the downside of the Albion caster approach is that I'll either need to raise the machine ~6" (increasing "tippy-ness"), or build a frame with outriggers.

Thanks for everyone's input. I need to re-look at my shop layout and see if I can find a logical place to install the lathe semi-permanently. I've got a wall and a closet that I can remove that will significantly increase the open area, and that may be enough so I can find a place along a wall for the lathe and mill.

I purchased a lathe from an electrical components manufacture; he used an "A" frame and a two heavy duty furniture moving type of carts. The "A" frame was built in segments that were assembled over the machine in question. Hoisting was done with a small chain fall, the machine placed on the carts having wide spread casters then moved and re-leveled. Took about 20 minutes from shop location to my trailer.
Have a good day
Ray

I recently built my own stand for my 13 X 40 lathe. At first I seriously considered the caster/leveling feet combo. In the end I made it so that I could slip a floor jack under the end and raise it about 1.5" and slip a furniture dolly underneath. The lathe and stand weights about 1500 lbs. I have moved it several times this way. With the exception of the electrical connections, I can get the lathe mobile within a minute or so. Just a quick pump or two with the floor jack and roll the dolly underneath, let it back down on the dolly and repeat for the other side. I don't think it would be any faster with the feet in the links attached above. When I put it back in place I still have to re-level but the leveling feet are in the same position so It just takes some minor adjustments to get back to level. Moving it just requires one floor jack and two furniture dollys. I was prepared to put a third dolly under the middle, but it didn't turn out to be necessary.

Edited to add that this may not be the perfect solution for your application but it has worked well for me when moving the lathe 25' from the original uncrating and set up to its permanent location and again for a DRO install and a few other minor modifications.

Last edited:
Here's another old lathe with wheels. Out riggers is a must with a lathe along with placing the wheels out away from the lathe to handle the short C of G encountered with a lathe when moving. Suggest fixed wheels at the headstock end and swivel wheels at the tailstock end. Ken

Lehmann-23.JPG

Here's another old lathe with wheels. Out riggers is a must with a lathe along with placing the wheels out away from the lathe to handle the short C of G encountered with a lathe when moving. Suggest fixed wheels at the headstock end and swivel wheels at the tailstock end. Ken
4gsr,
I think that's the same Leblond from the UK Lathes site. Not sure how many were sold, or how well they worked, but if it worked it would be nice in my situation.

Evan

I recently built my own stand for my 13 X 40 lathe. At first I seriously considered the caster/leveling feet combo. In the end I made it so that I could slip a floor jack under the end and raise it about 1.5" and slip a furniture dolly underneath. The lathe and stand weights about 1500 lbs. I have moved it several times this way. With the exception of the electrical connections, I can get the lathe mobile within a minute or so. Just a quick pump or two with the floor jack and roll the dolly underneath, let it back down on the dolly and repeat for the other side. I don't think it would be any faster with the feet in the links attached above. When I put it back in place I still have to re-level but the leveling feet are in the same position so It just takes some minor adjustments to get back to level. Moving it just requires one floor jack and two furniture dollys. I was prepared to put a third dolly under the middle, but it didn't turn out to be necessary.

Edited to add that this may not be the perfect solution for your application but it has worked well for me when moving the lathe 25' from the original uncrating and set up to its permanent location and again for a DRO install and a few other minor modifications.
bss,
The floor jack and dollies is a good idea. I've seen people talk about using a pallet jack, but I really don't want something else to deal with and I already have a floor jack.

Thanks!

Yes the pallet jack was a consideration as well. But, like you I didn't want something else to store that would rarely be used. I had the dollies and floor jack already on hand and occasionally use them for other tasks.

4gsr,
I think that's the same Leblond from the UK Lathes site. Not sure how many were sold, or how well they worked, but if it worked it would be nice in my situation.

Evan
Nope!

The one in the picture I posted is a Lehmann Lathe. I had one just like this less the wheels. And the other picture of the LeBlond is another one over in Louisiana that one of the guys over on PM owns, I know about it too.

They don't roll around easily!

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope!

The one in the picture I posted is a Lehmann Lathe. I had one just like this less the wheels. And the other picture of the LeBlond is another one over in Louisiana that one of the guys over on PM owns, I know about it too.

They don't roll around easily!

Ken
I stand (not roll) corrected!;)

Thanks.

The (3) Point Wheel set shown on that one old lathe would be the way to go.
Once you had the lathe on the wheels and adjusted so it had no twist to the bed it shouldn't pick up a twist when moved with a (3) point stance.

Back