Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

36 grit ceramic for roughing, 120 aluminum oxide to touch up and clean up the grind marks.

I used to use finer grits before the honing, but it doesn't help enough to make it worth the extra effort to swap belts.

They’re here!
Super stoked to receive the tool samples today.
5f8eb9d59365cb7d580aabb587bd937a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A note of thanks to Mikey and Z2V.
I read the posts in this thread and finally asked to see the models, which were promptly sent to me. It has helped me to fine tune the angles on my HSS tool bits. I also decided to buy a belt sander after reading the positive experiences of other members. Always improving and learning!

A note of thanks to Mikey and Z2V.
I read the posts in this thread and finally asked to see the models, which were promptly sent to me. It has helped me to fine tune the angles on my HSS tool bits. I also decided to buy a belt sander after reading the positive experiences of other members. Always improving and learning!

I saw you post about your platen - now you, Will and Aukai have a Jet. You have to let us know how it works for tool grinding, okay? You did a nice job on your platen, Forty Niner, and that is so important when controlling your grind.

I saw you post about your platen - now you, Will and Aukai have a Jet. You have to let us know how it works for tool grinding, okay? You did a nice job on your platen, Forty Niner, and that is so important when controlling your grind.
I bought the Jet sander after reading all the accolades given to grinding tool bits on belt sanders. I had never tried it before, so I thought it just might be time. I have only used bench grinders previously. Now I find that I can remove metal faster and with good angle control using the belt sander. It works great with the glass platen that I made for it. However, I think that I will still use my bench grinder for fine tuning and touch up. It is a slow speed with fine grit wheels (rikon 8" 1800 rpm from Woodcraft)
I have two small lathes, a Sherline and a Taig. And I have Boley and Levin watchmakers lathes. So I primarily use 1/4, 3/16, and 1/8" HSS tool bits. I have insert tooling for the Sherline and Taig, but prefer the HSS bits for most work.

As a side note, I have experimented with the "shear" style tool bit and find that it does work as advertised. Easy to grind and produces a very nice finish on carbon steel.

Thanks to all the posts with all the great information on tool grinding. I have improved my technique and reduced the grinding time.

I needed a better way to hold my little HSS tool bits so I made a holder out of aluminum. Very handy. Works on belt sander and on grinder. On the bench grinder I have the table set flat (0 degrees) and control the tool angle by the tool being above center of the wheel.

DSCN0766.JPGDSCN0767.JPGDSCN0773.JPGDSCN0774.JPGDSCN0766.JPGDSCN0767.JPGDSCN0773.JPGDSCN0774.JPG

I bought the Jet sander after reading all the accolades given to grinding tool bits on belt sanders. I had never tried it before, so I thought it just might be time. I have only used bench grinders previously. Now I find that I can remove metal faster and with good angle control using the belt sander. It works great with the glass platen that I made for it. However, I think that I will still use my bench grinder for fine tuning and touch up. It is a slow speed with fine grit wheels (rikon 8" 1800 rpm from Woodcraft)
I have two small lathes, a Sherline and a Taig. And I have Boley and Levin watchmakers lathes. So I primarily use 1/4, 3/16, and 1/8" HSS tool bits. I have insert tooling for the Sherline and Taig, but prefer the HSS bits for most work.

As a side note, I have experimented with the "shear" style tool bit and find that it does work as advertised. Easy to grind and produces a very nice finish on carbon steel.

Thanks to all the posts with all the great information on tool grinding. I have improved my technique and reduced the grinding time.

I spent over a decade grinding tools on a bench grinder so I am very familiar with how it cuts. There is just no comparison to the speed and control a belt sander allows, and the glass platen keeps the face flat so no more dressing. I'm glad you see it, too.

Looks like you're grinding some really nice tools there, Sir!

What an awesome topic and project you have taken on!!
Well, I do not have a lathe but I do have a fly cutter (W/O tooling) that I am itching to try out and have some HSS blanks on the way.
Questions:
Got through the 1st 104 replies so far and this looks to be for lathes only grinds??
Can I assume these tools will not work for that application?
And with out reading through the next 30 or so pages here, (which I do plan on doing as time allows) do you of have you any examples for fly cutter grinds?
Thank you!!

Back