Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

I believe i am on the slowest rpm on the watchmaker’s i didnt want to go to fast. I could bump it up i guess. I have diamond sticks to hone the brazed carbide. I found a decent looking one that i could use with a little honing. For how small the part is i could maybe go one belt notch faster. After that i will just go to the big lathe and go with carbide.

What type of radius would be ok is the next question. I need a radius but it has to be small to get into the corner of the little part well.

I saw your other thread, I didn't realize how small the part is. Yeah, you can probably speed it up some.

I would keep the radius small, but it might help make it easier to get the radius in the shoulder if you use something close to the radius you want in the part. Increasing the radius also increases the tool pressure, but you do get a better finish unless you cause chatter. If you do have chatter, you might want to remove most of the material with a very sharp tool with minimal radius, then switch to a larger radius tool to make a finish pass. Unless you're getting into form tool territory, I doubt it will be much of a problem though.

Fresh ground in 5 minutes. Need to put a little radius on it and hone it. Hopefully that will take care of my problem. If not, off to the southbend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 17
The little Derbyshire just couldnt do it. Tried a few speeds and it just kept rubbing before cutting. I didnt want to waste more time and put more work on the little lathe so off to the Southbend.

So, are there still a few of the sample sets floating around? After a couple of months of stalking Facebook Marketplace, I finally scored one of the coveted(?) 1/2hp Craftsman Belt Sanders. I'm working up my material list for the rest and will order materials on Monday. I'm guessing it'll be a month or so before I have the modifications done due to a scheduled vacation, but would love to get busy sharpening as soon as it's complete.

I've also recently purchased a Logan / Wards 10" lathe. It needs a good cleaning and a new belt, but should be good to go around the same time. I'm looking forward to this as I've been using a cheap HF 7x10 with lots of issues...

Attached is the general and very rough plan for the new rest, taken straight from that excellent article by @mikey .
Yeah, there are probably 20 or more sets floating around out there. Honestly, finding a set to be forwarded to you would involve much more effort than just making a set and dropping them in the mail to you. I’d have to sort through pages of PM’s to figure out who has a set to forward you.
‘Drop me a PM with contact info and I’ll make a set in the next day or so and get them to you.
‘Remember, these will be made of cheap key stock. NOT WORKING TOOLS, they are just models for you to work to.
‘Glade to do it, just get me your contact info

Jeff

Would you be into making two sets? Or maybe @Cavediver would send them to me when he gets a handle on grinding his own.

Tim

I have a set I can forward.
PM me the shipping info.

Last edited:
I’d like to host a set for a little while, too, when one becomes available.

Back