Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

It is a lot to absorb when we are just trying not to grind our finger tips.

I run across a lot of comments about HSS being useful not just as an economical tool, but also for the ability to grind the custom tool you need which may not exist unless you make it yourself.

It is rather hard to make your own tool without understanding what it is that each cut does. At least for myself it isn't that I couldn't care less how it works so much as I'm still trying to figure out what is my fault and which is because of the tool. So many variables between feed rate, depth of cut, angle of the tool, material etc.

As far as a lack of discussion I suspect it is more being overwhelmed and not having anything to add than a lack of interest.

It might help to talk about evaluating a cut to figure out what is going on. To be honest I'm just guessing when a part isn't turning out how I hoped. I'll adjust RPM, try adding some lubricant and adjust the depth of cut, sometimes that works sometimes I finish the piece with a fine and sand paper.

I agree with Aaron. It would be nice to get the how and why version of the story though. The bits I have ground using the models work well, the thought of playing with the angles has occurred to me but which to change and why escapes me. Definitely lack of knowledge and feeling overwhelmed but the relationship of the angles. Might be interesting even to have the Cliff notes version and then expand from there.

I agree with Aaron. It would be nice to get the how and why version of the story though. The bits I have ground using the models work well, the thought of playing with the angles has occurred to me but which to change and why escapes me. Definitely lack of knowledge and feeling overwhelmed but the relationship of the angles. Might be interesting even to have the Cliff notes version and then expand from there.

and then there is the tool that seems to work fine, maybe it could work better but why tempt fate. :)

It is a lot to absorb when we are just trying not to grind our finger tips.

I totally get that. Just learning how to move your hands to grind a useful tool is hard enough, let alone trying to absorb how the tool actually works.

It is rather hard to make your own tool without understanding what it is that each cut does. At least for myself it isn't that I couldn't care less how it works so much as I'm still trying to figure out what is my fault and which is because of the tool. So many variables between feed rate, depth of cut, angle of the tool, material etc. ... It might help to talk about evaluating a cut to figure out what is going on. To be honest I'm just guessing when a part isn't turning out how I hoped. I'll adjust RPM, try adding some lubricant and adjust the depth of cut, sometimes that works sometimes I finish the piece with a fine and sand paper.

Yup, it's called "learning to use the lathe." Having good tools makes it easier but there is still a lot to learn. That's the fun part, though. It takes time and experience, Aaron, but it will come.

Hey Todd,
Yeah, I admit that figuring out how the angles relate to each other and how to change them to suit the material is not intuitive or simple to understand. However, before you try to figure out how to do that, you have to understand what each angle on the tool does. Then you have to anticipate what an angle change will do to improve performance in a given material class.

The hard part is that none of this is written down in the literature/books. In fact, I bet we have covered more HSS tool information in this thread than is covered in any instructional book on the net. How far we take it depends on you guys. If you want the whole shebang then we can do that.

I wouldn't mind seeing more. It would be interesting to know more about why one would choose certain angles for different faces. When you might want to use a steeper or shallower angle, etc..

I’m not saying much tonight, I have a sore throat but I’m in too!

The hard part is that none of this is written down in the literature/books. In fact, I bet we have covered more HSS tool information in this thread than is covered in any instructional book on the net.

That statement sums things up pretty well. Thanks to you and all that have participated in this thread for the knowledge that has been shared! Wish it would warm up a little more so I can finish my belt grinder, and then grind tools...........

Reactions: Z2V
Hi guys I new to this hobby just got myself a lathe a week ago. I had help from a friend that is an x machines but still do little projects for cash on the side. My old man is and maecenas too but haven't done it for 25 year's. This ider of sending the tools for every one to have a feeling of how there look at is and good Ider. I'm interested if you're still doing it. I just downloaded an printed out the guides on page 2 of this threat. Keep the good work up.

Back