Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Mikey, still digesting what you have shared with us. I think I get it at least to a point. I was thinking that I need to play with the angles and see if that helps make things clearer. Sort of like in school when you were given a lesson and then told to make an example to prove it. I'm trying to dream up my next move. For me my next thing is to finish my grinder, cold in the shop or not. At that point when time allows there will not be a piece of HSS safe!!!! Please do continue even if this goes over my head and my eyes glaze over knowing the information is here gives me the piece of mind to know that as I learn and have questions I have an in-depth reference to refer to. The time you and Jeff have spent to help those of us here is priceless and I very much appreciate the hard work and excellent knowledge you have shared.

I put an edit in post 618. Please see it helps.

Mikey, still digesting what you have shared with us. I think I get it at least to a point. I was thinking that I need to play with the angles and see if that helps make things clearer. Sort of like in school when you were given a lesson and then told to make an example to prove it. I'm trying to dream up my next move. For me my next thing is to finish my grinder, cold in the shop or not. At that point when time allows there will not be a piece of HSS safe!!!! Please do continue even if this goes over my head and my eyes glaze over knowing the information is here gives me the piece of mind to know that as I learn and have questions I have an in-depth reference to refer to. The time you and Jeff have spent to help those of us here is priceless and I very much appreciate the hard work and excellent knowledge you have shared.

Thanks, Todd. I will finish what I started and give you the info to modify your tools as I said I would do, not to worry. Once I do that, you should have the ammo you need to play with your grinding.

I have always felt that if a student fails to assimilate the information, it is not the fault of the student; it is the fault of the teacher for not presenting the information in a manner that can be easily understood. I am trying and I am failing and it sucks. This is why it is taking so long to get the tool mod part of this to you guys. I'm trying to simplify it so anyone can get it. I may fail at that, too, but it won't be from lack of effort.

I do not believe you are failing by any means. This is a complicated topic. In my case I have no formal training in any of this and it does interest me. It seems to me that as I grasp the topics by using your info the picture gets clearer in my mind. I am sure that face to face it would be simpler to convey your thoughts. Also on my part at least the information being a bit over my head so to speak gives me a push to learn more. I consider all you have given a huge resource that will be referenced now and in the future. Besides that the models will always give a starting point that will work so there is a fall back incase I fall off the learning cliff. :cower:

When I have posted detailed discussions on tool geometry in the past, the forum suddenly goes quiet. The last time this happened, I actually PM'd one of our gracious mods and the OP of the thread and expressed concern that the posts had shut down! I was told to be patient and things would pick up; they never did. I am convinced that I lost of lot of the guys in the details, which is why I said that this stuff is anything but clear and simple and is also why I didn't do it in the first place.

At this point in my "grinding career", I can see tip geometry in my mind. I see every angle and how they relate to one another. I can mentally see how each will change if I change one or more of the angles and I can anticipate what will happen as a result of those changes with surprising accuracy. For me, what I have written here is like Tool Grinding 101 but it is really, really complicated to the uninitiated.

What I'm trying to say is that I understand how you guys feel. You do not need to understand any of this stuff; all you need to do is learn to grind a tool so you can make chips. If you can grind a Square Tool, that should be enough to satisfy most guys and you don't have to understand anything else. However, there is one guy, maybe two, who want to go further. I am doing all of this for those guys and I hope they learn this stuff well. One day, I will be gone and somebody needs to pick it up. It is my hope that that somebody is a member of this thread because this information is not available anywhere else on the Net.

And don't think you can rely on Bonehead. Not only is he going to **** you off, but he can't type!

Nope, I will be back with questions just have distractions at the moment that are far less fun than turning metal.

What you have written makes sense and many questions are answered within the posts themselves. That requires re-reading looking for different things each time. I really appreciate you taking the time lay it all out like this.

It is like the give a guy a fish or teach a guy to fish. We are busy trying not to jamb the hook in our thumb right now. :)

Thanks, Guys, but time will tell how this goes. I've been writing for two days and keep trying to simplify - its hard.

Mikey, Thank you for taking the time to do this. For me this has been one of the best threads on this forum.

Thanks, Thomas, I do appreciate it. Coming from a veteran machinist like you, it means a lot.

Back