Modified 12" Follow Rest?

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hey All,

I don't own an Atlas/Craftsman lathe, but my wife brought home a box of lathe parts from a local estate auction and this follow rest was included. It clearly has the correct number for a 12" follow rest, but I have to assume the horizontal fixture in the middle was added later. I will say it was done nicely with everything lining up perfectly, etc. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I disassembled it, gave everything a quick cleaning and put it back together...all seems to be in order. From the looks of things the fingers were never used so I can only guess this was used for a specialized project. The other thing is that it seems to have a bronze insert supporting the tip of the horizontal finger. I haven't seen that in any of the pictures I've found, but it certainly looks like it was made that way.

Any ideas about either? I'm going to list it for sale, but would love to know what the modification could be used for.

Edit to add: now that I look at the pictures it would seem this would allow putting the vertical finger on the bottom. I'll have to check tomorrow, but I didn't even think of that when I was putting it back together.

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

I never say anything like it made for any machine but would have to guess that it was to support something limber enough to sag slightly and/or without a center supporting the right end of the work piece.

I think you guys are on the right track. Last night I was thinking about it and threading in reverse came to mind and the possibility it was supposed to work sort of like a steady rest.

I put the finger in the bottom and it all lined up, but it would need a shorter finger to work properly....that would be an easy thing to make.

IMG_1082.JPG

I wonder how the maker made the flat-end slot?

I wonder how the maker made the flat-end slot?
Good question...I'm a novice at machining, so I'm just guessing, but in the bottom of the slot the marks sure look like a small end mill was used.

I made a shortened finger to see how things lined up....seems to be right on the money.

IMG_1093.JPG

Back