[How-To] Modified Colchester lathe headstock "clutch housing" - fixing headstock oil leak on Colchester Chipmaster/Harrison 10-AA

I got the two seals today, installed them, seems fine - we'll see if they do their job. The smaller seal - should it be pressed flush or a little bit more, until it bottoms out against the shoulder?

I'll attach an image of the PNs from 123Bearing.com
IMG_20231004_222515058.jpgIMG_20231004_234643023.jpg123bearing.png

I got the two seals today, installed them, seems fine - we'll see if they do their job. The smaller seal - should it be pressed flush or a little bit more, until it bottoms out against the shoulder?
Regarding the smaller seal - it doesn't matter.

You don't mention lubricant for the two smaller bearings and the two needle bearings - same as the large bearing that has the grease zerk?

I took a closer look - those needle bearings; do they receive oil from the headstock that travels along the 1210 shaft?

I took a closer look - those needle bearings; do they receive oil from the headstock that travels along the 1210 shaft?
The two needle bearings that sit behind the oil plate with the smaller seal- yes they are bathed in oil along the main input shaft and do not need to be manually oiled except to avoid dry assembly.

The big bearing(s) inside the casting where the bigger seal goes, those get greased manually during assembly and then via the zerk.

I'm not sure what other bearings you might be asking about except the 3 rollers on ramps to engage the clutch - I just gave those a touch of grease when I had them apart and they won't need anything else for many years.

The two needle bearings that sit behind the oil plate with the smaller seal- yes they are bathed in oil along the main input shaft and do not need to be manually oiled except to avoid dry assembly.

The big bearing(s) inside the casting where the bigger seal goes, those get greased manually during assembly and then via the zerk.

I'm not sure what other bearings you might be asking about except the 3 rollers on ramps to engage the clutch - I just gave those a touch of grease when I had them apart and they won't need anything else for many years.
1012 and 1013, the pulley bearings - I'm guessing those get greased, as they're outboard of the small oil seal?

1012 and 1013, the pulley bearings - I'm guessing those get greased, as they're outboard of the small oil seal?
Yeah they must be. I should check mine, I don't remember giving them any tlc when I had my machine apart

Yeah they must be. I should check mine, I don't remember giving them any tlc when I had my machine apart
I actually got into this tonight while looking into my clutch rattle (I was doing it as you commented on that video actually), and yes the bearings seem to need independent greasing once in a long while

Back