Modify my South Bend

dirty tools

Active User
Registered
A friend allowed me to use his lathe today
my South Bend (1916 year) 13”X5’ ,the clutch gears are wasted, I have been unable to find replacement parts. I was able to find suitable parts ( an apron from a South Bend 10”.
I have to cur the clutch shaft off at the gear machine a new shaft (4100 round stock) machine the shaft to fit bore it out.
my friend will weld them up. Then finish the shaft true, cut the threads and fit.
heat took its toll today
I only rough cut t shaft to size.
wife has medical issues so it will be a couple days before I can get back working on it.
pictures to follo.
I liked his Grizzly 13” X 40” lathe, although it has lots more back lash than my South Bend.

Depending on which 41xx alloy, the weld may be pretty hard. If 4130, should be no problem, if 4140, you may have to anneal with a torch before machining.

4100 steel is weld able
this is harder than the original metal
I'm not referring to weldability, I'm referring to machinability after welding. 4100 would be chrome-moly alloy steel with 0% carbon. I don't believe that is actually produced. The lowest carbon content 41xx steel I can find is 4118. The most commonly encountered are 4130 and 4140. 4130 tube is used for roll-cages because it has the higher strength and stiffness of chrome-moly steel but the welds do not become hard, which would make them brittle. 4140 has sufficient carbon to be hardenable, welds will become hard. How hard depends on the filler material and welding process.

We will find out today
i wI’ll be at the shop most of my day
to complete this phase. Then installed the apron and test run

Back