Monarch 10EE Tool Room Lathe - $10500 (South Lake Tahoe, CA)

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I don't usually post ads without pictures, or this expensive, but its a 10EE.

1575390119061.png

No pictures makes me worry about what shape it's in. A 10EE is a nice lathe, but for that price it should be in very nice shape.

Just checked eBay, the highest one on the sold listing was 7500, then two others for significantly less than that. There were a number on the regular listings buy it now in the 5000 range. So for 10k+ it had better be in like new condition and very well tooled.

Maybe in other areas. The 2-3 I've seen on CG in SoCal had asking prices of $11-14K. Granted, that's asking price.

I am really curious about how good the EE is...could somebody who has experience here please comment on how it might compare to other lathes? For example, what could I do with an EE that would only be harder, less accurate, slower, etc. compared to a 10” Logan or 14” Takisawa?

That's easy. The 10EE is the finest lathe ever made in this size range. Once you own one, its hard to go back to anything else.

I had one for years. I always likened it to dropping the machete and picking up the scalpel when I went from the south bend to the monarch.

Ok, thanks. Could you please elaborate a bit? Maybe it’s too subjective to describe, but for most products I like, there are some specifics that are worth naming. Maybe it’s the feel of the controls, the precision of placement, what?

Here's my take on it: no pictures are a worry, but his text says all the right things. If it is still connected to power, and he does a turning cut under power feed and a facing cut under poser feed, and it performs well, and it is in great condition, like he says, then it might be worth it to the right person.

No demonstration: for sure a walk away.

Yes, it was the feel of it. The smooth running spindle. Even when you switched over to gear drive it felt smooth. The saddle traversed smoothly. I like the feel of old Leblond Regals too though. I guess it's just a user friendly feeling.

Back