Monarch 60/61 finally going together

Beckerkumm

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been procrastinating for a couple of years but time to finish up the Monarch. I got side tracked by the Smart Brown and CVA. I wanted to get familiar with lathe internals on machines where i could actually lift the parts.

Monarch was born in April 1954 so a month younger than me. I needed to move it about 10 feet and have been dreading it. I couldn't get the forklift it it so toe jacks and machinery skates were the option. Most of my friends are more frail than me so no help other than mechanical advantage. Got it done so next are putting the feed rods back in and swapping the motor. The electrics have been gutted so I'm replacing the 324 frame motor with a Black Max I stole and will power with a vfd. The machine has a top speed of 700 rpm but Monarch used the same bearings up to 1200 so the Black Max will give me a lot of range without changing gears a lot and I'll use it to over speed to 1100-1200. The CVA can handle anything that needs higher rpm. The speed chart will still provide the correct rpm at 60 hz for reference.

I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow but will keep plugging away. Dave

Attachments

• DSCN4264.JPG
    DSCN4264.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 38
I painted it during Christmas a few years ago and must have watched a Hallmark movie. Turned out more like clown colors than Christmas. Dave

I need to slightly adjust the position of my Monarch 612 2516. Only a few feet but same approach, toe jack and skates. Been procrastinating a bit just dreading it, but the round-tuit is coming due.

Pushing sideways isn't bad. Lengthwise is worse. I got part of the way with my electric pallet jack on the tailstock end. Two people could handle it easily- if i had a friend not tied to the chair. I centered the skates under the adjustment bolt and screwed them down just enough to keep the skate in place. My fear is always that one will loosen up so I only move a foot and then look them all over. I saw a video of Jeff Heath moving his Monarch 16x54 and the skate disintegrated under the machine and it was heart stopping.

Dave

I got mine in the wintertime, used a skid plate bolted to the legs. Then we shoveled snow onto the floor
and slid it in. After the snow melted I jockeyed it into position a bit at a time.

Back