Monarch CK 12"

Aurora Motor and Machine

Registered
Registered
We have a 1947, CK 12" with a big leak. Its leaking oil out of the bottom of the front spindle. Does anyone know if there is a seal or bearing in there? If so, do you have any knowledge on repairing/replacing it? We've had it since 1964 and she's sure been a dandy of a machine with constant use

Bud

Attachments

• Both Monarch turning lathes going.jpg
    Both Monarch turning lathes going.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 85
  • monarch ck29593 .jpg
    monarch ck29593 .jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 84
  • monarch spindle chuck photo.jpg
    monarch spindle chuck photo.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 79
Welcome Aboard! Awesome shop!

There is absolutely a bearing there. Also a good possibility that there is a seal. Getting to it is the real problem.

The spindle would need to be removed to service it, and most likely the spindle comes out the front. On the back of the spindle there should be a set of double nuts that set the preload on the spindle bearings. Removing those nuts should allow the spindle to slide out the front. There also may be a front cap bolted onto the headstock housing.

But this is where it starts getting a bit tricky, you may have to remove some of the gears and shifting mechanism in order to pull the spindle out. You would need to remove the top cover and take a look at how the transmission is assemble to determine what needs to be removed.

I would remove the top cover first and take a look just to see what is what and also take a look at the oiling system to try to determine if it is working correctly and not spraying oil where it shouldn't be and thus causing the leak.

Overall it's not a lot different than a truck transmission. The other possibility is that is over full, there should be a site glass on the case somewhere that shows the oil level.

I think most lathes do not use seals on the spindles, but rather they use a labirinth closure. If I were you, before tearing into it, give a call to Monarch and inquire as to what needs to be done, my friend, Ralph Seguin tells me that they are very helpful, he just bought a Lodge & Shipley AVS lathe from them and also a Monarch EE, both used machines.

Seconding what @benmychree says. I have a CK but have never pulled the spindle, but from my reading I'm pretty sure it is a labyrinth seal. Monarch can provide you an exact parts diagram if you don't already have one for you lathe, I think the full manual with parts costs $50. Here's what I have on the spindle parts from vintagemachinery.org, nothing labeled as a "seal".

spindle.jpg

Is your oil level correct?

We have a 1947, CK 12" with a big leak. Its leaking oil out of the bottom of the front spindle. Does anyone know if there is a seal or bearing in there? If so, do you have any knowledge on repairing/replacing it? We've had it since 1964 and she's sure been a dandy of a machine with constant use

Bud
there are ss sleeves sold by bearing house to slide on worn shafts of any description, if your shaft is bad you could metal spray it, good luck my CAZENUEVE is same, common issue, i ignore it

Man I love the first photo you posted of the shop. That would make a cool 8x10 to hang on the wall. I have called Monarch on 2 occasions to order parts for my Monarch lathe. Very helpful.

Check out Keith Rucker's You Tube channel. He rebuilt a Monarch a couple of years ago. There was another channel, Machining 360, that had a really good series on rebuilding a Monarch. He quit posting late last year. I contacted him via e-mail in January and he said he'd be posting more videos, but his channel has since disappeared.

Seconding what @benmychree says. I have a CK but have never pulled the spindle, but from my reading I'm pretty sure it is a labyrinth seal. Monarch can provide you an exact parts diagram if you don't already have one for you lathe, I think the full manual with parts costs $50. Here's what I have on the spindle parts from vintagemachinery.org, nothing labeled as a "seal".

View attachment 375645

Is your oil level correct?
Thanks! I'm grateful for all the input! That's exactly what happened...we checked the oil and Dad thought it was empty, He over filled the reservoir and what a leak! we're wondering about the seal and now the pump. We've not changed the oil on it and wonder if that may be something wrong. After reading yours and @benmychree messages... I believe we need to call Monarch! thanks for your help!!

Man I love the first photo you posted of the shop. That would make a cool 8x10 to hang on the wall. I have called Monarch on 2 occasions to order parts for my Monarch lathe. Very helpful.
Thanks! I love that photo - only it was taken from the top of our crane....30 years ago! I'm going to try to call Monarch for additional help!

Bud

Check out Keith Rucker's You Tube channel. He rebuilt a Monarch a couple of years ago. There was another channel, Machining 360, that had a really good series on rebuilding a Monarch. He quit posting late last year. I contacted him via e-mail in January and he said he'd be posting more videos, but his channel has since disappeared.
I'll go find those channels!! I'll be watching for the Machining 360 too.
Bud

Back