Monster Plumb Bob

schor

Registered
Registered
I did post this to the project of the day, but I think it's appropriate for the projects forum.

The makings of a +10 inch ~6lbs plumb bob. I always wanted to make one and a friend wanted to have one. I scrounged the metal shops and found a piece of bronze for the main body, I used some brass and stainless I had in my stock and some rosewood and started turning.

Click the picture for a 4 minute video.

Zbv46YcegP188EYwH5R5IiTgKTnnGH7z44sBplOfxpg=s207-p-no.jpg

Thanks for the positive thoughts on project of the month but I've seen tons of excellent projects on this site, this is only a plumb bob.

There is no such thing as ONLY a Plumb Bob. It is a precision piece of work if done correctly. If everything is not on a relative center line it will not work correctly. I have seen them off the mark as much as 1/16 inch. I can't imagine putting in a pipe drop from a 25 foot ceiling and being off that much at the floor. I have a Brown & Sharp that is Mercury filled.

"Billy G"

There is no such thing as ONLY a Plumb Bob. It is a precision piece of work if done correctly. If everything is not on a relative center line it will not work correctly. I have seen them off the mark as much as 1/16 inch. I can't imagine putting in a pipe drop from a 25 foot ceiling and being off that much at the floor. I have a Brown & Sharp that is Mercury filled.

"Billy G"

Thanks Bill, I believe I did make it correctly. Everything should be on center and I hung it and there was visually no runout (is that the right term to use?). I'm not really sure how accurate a plumb bob needs to be or how to measure it's accuracy other than to let it hang and see if it stays on center when you spin it a bit.

Back