Moore Milling machine - $890 (Reno, NV)

That's a jig bore and worth 10 times the price they're asking

It has a keyless chuck mounted to the spindle.
Jig bores do a circular pattern while spinning at a high rpm right?
Somebody buy it so I'm not tempted. Please.

It looks like a #2, Yeah, there are several for sale on the net. All greater than $5,000.
It looks like the head is the original paint and the base/knee has been repainted. Some pretty big holes in the table.
I don't know..... The seller says, "excellent condition". Hmmm I don't think i would call that excellent.

Come on Jeff. This is a killer deal and you're within easy driving distance. I'm out of room (and need a small surface grinder).

Moore made great equipment,but hasn't the jig bores went the same way as the shapers?

Seems like ball screws and servo motors took over.
Passed me up that's for sure.

It's not a bad price for a Moore #2, but it isn't all that stellar either. They regularly go for between $900.00 and $1,500.00 in our area. There's a # 1 currently on eBay for $500.00, and a #2 for $750.00

A couple problems I see are, first I doubt the person selling it has ever used it, or has any idea of it's condition since they listed it as a "milling machine". Secondly there is no tooling. Even the most basic tooling would cost the new owner at least the same amount as the seller is asking for the machine.

I'm betting the machine was either bought as part of a lot at an auction, was left in the building when a tenant moved out, or it was originally part of an estate sale.

It's not a bad price for a Moore #2, but it isn't all that stellar either. They regularly go for between $900.00 and $1,500.00 in our area. There's a # 1 currently on eBay for $500.00, and a #2 for $750.00

A couple problems I see are, first I doubt the person selling it has ever used it, or has any idea of it's condition since they listed it as a "milling machine". Secondly there is no tooling. Even the most basic tooling would cost the new owner at least the same amount as the seller is asking for the machine.

I'm betting the machine was either bought as part of a lot at an auction, was left in the building when a tenant moved out, or it was originally part of an estate sale.
Thank you projectnut.
I did a cursory search and found these listed over $5,000 but I did not search for pics or condition/tooling etc.
Now I can rest knowing I did not pass up an easy profit. opportunity. I wouldn't know what to do with the dang thing.
Mr. Whooppee would though :)

Moore made great equipment,but hasn't the jig bores went the same way as the shapers?
It's tough to beat the precision of a Moore jig bore even with common CNC machines. Yah, I know there are some that can, but they are high end machines. Wire EDM also can compete but can't deal with shoulders. The machine that I always enjoyed running was a Moore Jig Grinder. The capabilities of those machines is incredible, ID & OD grinding, facing, precision tapers, ID & OD grooves, intricate profiles with die relief tapers. Lots of fun.

Back