Moore tools blocks

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I know its odd, but I like to have different pairs of ground blocks for set ups. The more odd setups I do the more I like to have options.

I've been looking at Moore tools blocks on Ebay for years and finally bought a set for just over $100 shipped. The seller took $88 instead of $99.

Am I the only one who gets excited about stuff like this? I can't properly heat treat these myself. My grinder isn't capable of that good a finish. Honestly I wouldn't mind having a second set.

I know its odd, but I like to have different pairs of ground blocks for set ups. The more odd setups I do the more I like to have options.

I've been looking at Moore tools blocks on Ebay for years and finally bought a set for just over $100 shipped. The seller took $88 instead of $99.

Am I the only one who gets excited about stuff like this? I can't properly heat treat these myself. My grinder isn't capable of that good a finish. Honestly I wouldn't mind having a second set.
Not at all, very useful to have many options when doing setups.

I'm fortunate I can make, harden and grind stuff like this, and even at that I get excited thinking of new things to have on hand.

I can only imagine how great it must feel to buy them in your case.

Not at all, very useful to have many options when doing setups.

I'm fortunate I can make, harden and grind stuff like this, and even at that I get excited thinking of new things to have on hand.

I can only imagine how great it must feel to buy them in your case.
I bought these pretty cheap but had to grind them to get truly perpendicular sides. My grinder isn't great but I got them plenty close enough for odd mill use.

The Moore tools blocks should be very square and that makes them pretty attractive with no work required to fix them and all pretty close on size.

It might be just me, but I believe the name Moore is similar to the name Starrett when it comes to pricing tooling. They're both highly recognized for quality and seem to command prices well beyond most other brands. All Industrial is currently selling 123 blocks guaranteed to be within .0001" for $13.99 a pair. I'm sure they're made offshore but at that price they certainly are appealing if you need a set.

Recently I purchased 2 sets of used B&S ultra precision123 blocks (.0001") in like new condition for $10.00 a pair. They both came in their original cases and included the socket head screws. I doubt I'll ever need that level of accuracy. It might be nice to strive for, but for all practical purposes .0005" is the closest I'll ever need to measure to, and .001" is more than close enough for 90+% of what I do. Anything closer than that is more time consuming than it's worth.

It might be just me, but I believe the name Moore is similar to the name Starrett when it comes to pricing tooling. They're both highly recognized for quality and seem to command prices well beyond most other brands. All Industrial is currently selling 123 blocks guaranteed to be within .0001" for $13.99 a pair. I'm sure they're made offshore but at that price they certainly are appealing if you need a set.

Recently I purchased 2 sets of used B&S ultra precision123 blocks (.0001") in like new condition for $10.00 a pair. They both came in their original cases and included the socket head screws. I doubt I'll ever need that level of accuracy. It might be nice to strive for, but for all practical purposes .0005" is the closest I'll ever need to measure to, and .001" is more than close enough for 90+% of what I do. Anything closer than that is more time consuming than it's worth.
I like having set up blocks that are accurate enough that they are never remotely part of the accuracy equation when doing a project. Fortunately the price of that accuracy is dropping rapidly.

I have 123 blocks from Hermann Schmidt, 2 sets from Brown & Sharpe, and two chinese sets.

Still using my Moore blocks. Have a small mill with 4" vise, and these are perfect for many uses. Liked the Moore cubes ( big ones ), so made a pair. Good ol American steel. I agree, just love the old Moore tooling !

I am honestly pretty dissapointed with the accuracy of these Moore blocks. At the worst they are out 0.0004" on parallel and out of square approximate to the difference in parallel. That isn't much but I've got chinese 123 blocks out much less than that.

20230628_150357.jpg

The two sets of blocks around them were out of square and parallel but they were cheap home made blocks. I ground the small ones to the left in to 0.0002" at worst because I didn't stone my table flat for the last pass. Lol! The big ones are within 0.0001".

20230628_150735.jpg

I paid big money to buy quality and got mediocre. I didn't want to take them undersize to get them dead on but now I don't see a way out but to grind them in. The height on the long side is off 0.0009" long length block to block.

Attachments

• 20230628_150357.jpg
    20230628_150357.jpg
    843.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230628_150735.jpg
    20230628_150735.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Do they look to have been abused or do they look like new knock offs? Hard to trust anything now. Dave

Do they look to have been abused or do they look like new knock offs? Hard to trust anything now. Dave
The logo is real. There is a grind mark strike through on the logo. Might have indicated that they were reground.

Back